Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 3 Oct 2010 15:47

I am trying to find my Grandmothers brother who was adopted. I know both his parents names, his birth name and the year that he was born. Apart from that I have nothing else to go on.
Does anyone know if there is a way I could find out what happened to him?
Any help would be much appreciated.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Oct 2010 16:46

There is no way that I know of to find a person's adopted name. When did this take place, as no official adoptions before 1927 in any case.
If he was quite old when adopted he might have kept his first names but unless they are very unusual this won't help.
The only other thing I can suggest is to look for him in other people's trees using "search trees" above, on the off-chance someone here knows of him.
Jan

Julie

Julie Report 3 Oct 2010 17:20

Hi Jan
Thanks for getting back to me. As far as I know the adoption did take place before 1927 so it looks like I'm not having much luck!.
Thanks again x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Oct 2010 17:27

Have you looked for him using his original name - you never know! As it would have been informal there's a chance his name wasn't changed, butt as I say it depends how old he was when this took place.
Jan

Janice

Janice Report 3 Oct 2010 22:46

Would he have known he was adopted?

His death may be indexed under his birth and adoptive names - sorry, assuming he has died! Are there any likely candidates with the right dob?

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 4 Oct 2010 00:38

No records were kept for unofficial adoptions prior to 1927.

If adopted after 1927 then he would be entered on the Adopted Children Register in his adoptive name. After which all future events marriage and death will be registered in his adoptive name. Unless you know part of his adoptive name it is impossible to search the index of the Adopted Children Register.

You never know your luck... he may have retained his original birth name. Or simply acquired the names of his adoptive parents which will not be documented.

If I were you I'd order the birth certificate and see what you can glean from it. Come back and let us know how you go.