Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a continuation page

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William

William Report 3 Oct 2010 16:46

I recently found one of my relatives on a census page but it was the very last item and he was listed as HEAD. How could I find the next page and the rest of that family?
Anyone any ideas?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Oct 2010 16:53

What site are you using Willism? If GR I suspect you can't go to next page. Ancestry has arrows in top right corner to scroll back and forward, I imagine FMP is similar.
If this is the case let us know the details and we can have a look.
However, if living alone he would still be "Head" remember.
Jan

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Oct 2010 16:57

I suspect you are right Jan and William is using Genes for his research.

Give us the details of your relative William and we can look on Ancestry for the rest of the family (if there is one).

Kath. x

mgnv

mgnv Report 3 Oct 2010 19:20

William - if you get a transcription, do they give you a census reference. This will be a "number" like HO107 or RG 12, piece 3456, folio 78, page 9?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Oct 2010 12:22

If you contact GR with the details, they will provide you with the page.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 5 Oct 2010 06:48

If you post the family details I will have a look on Ancestry.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Oct 2010 17:40

The member doesn't want look-ups. He has paid for a service and want a resolution through the service provider.

As I said GR will provide the information if he cares to contact them with the details.

RobG

RobG Report 5 Oct 2010 17:59

If you know the name of his wife and/or children that would be with him, search for them.
Or someone could let you know a name of somebody on the second page and you can search for them.

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Oct 2010 18:05

I take your point IGP, but whilst William may well wish to wait for a response from GR, it is still the case that each and every time this happens for someone the same will apply, ie having to wait.

A look up in this circumstance may not be what one has paid for....but it might be quicker if someone wants the info asap?

It may also help William and others who read the thread to know about this 'drawback', so they can decide in the future whether to stick with the limitations or pay elsewhere so that they CAN look at 'next' or 'previous' pages without having to ask anyone at all.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Oct 2010 18:58

Well said Rose. It's always worth members knowing the drawbacks as well as the advantages of the service they are paying for - and Genes are never going to advertise the drawbacks, are they?

Kath. x

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 5 Oct 2010 19:12

IGP I know that William has not asked for a look up.

I offered to do a look up so that he could continue with his research whilst awaiting a resolution from GR.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 5 Oct 2010 19:27

I will just add that I sent William a note on how to find his replies but he has pm'd me to say he is struggling......will do my best to get him back here. Don't go away! :)) Cx

William

William Report 15 Oct 2010 20:19

It seems I've been hoisted by my own pettard by not stateting who I was looking for in this case! I have been so busy investigating other family members at a rapid rate (don't we get carried away with all this family searching!) that I've clear forgotten who I was searching for at the time. Please don't all throw brick-ends at me at the same time... I'f I discover who it was I'll get back and eat humble pie, promise.
Meanwhile, all stay calm . . . . . .

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 15 Oct 2010 22:10

William, I think this is hilarious! We've all been there I think. Maybe we need a new condition - "family research overload" perhaps?
Jan