Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kelly's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rose

Rose Report 5 Oct 2010 20:32

Please can anyone help me . i Am looking for my gg Grandfather Michael Kelly He was married to Catherine O'Neil.They were born in Ireland and they had their children In Dunmore Galway.I know that as i have all certificates on them.I can't find Michael or Catherine's Birth or Marriage and what part of Ireland they came from.I am not sure but i think they were born abt 1810 and marrid around 1834 as there first child Sarah was born in 1835.There children and dates of birth follow,Sarah b1835,Bridget b 1836, Patrick b1837,John b 1838-1839, John b 1840, Michael b 1842 and Mary b 1843,

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 5 Oct 2010 21:20

Rose...Given that you have the childrens Births and from what I can see there doesnt appear to be any gaps in the ages so if they followed tradition naming patterns then the first male child would be named after his g.father 2nd after maternal g.father...so you would be looking for a Michael Kelly son of Patrick and Catherine daughter of John O'Neil.
Do you know what Parish /Church the children were Baptised..?

Rose

Rose Report 5 Oct 2010 21:39

Thanks ever so much Eringobragh for telling me that. I didn't know.The place where the children were baptised was Dunmore RC parish church

Joy

Joy Report 5 Oct 2010 21:42

Given that their births were before civil registration births were recorded in Ireland (that is, 1864), it starts to get tricky :-)
However, you have done brilliantly well to get far back.

You would do well to post on the rootsweb mailing list for Galway. It is free and you can subscribe here:

http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/intl/IRL/IRL-GALWAY.html

Rose

Rose Report 5 Oct 2010 21:48

Thanks for that .I will post on the roots web,i will try anythingOnce again Thank you

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 5 Oct 2010 21:56

Rose...Have located Kelly's in Dunmore back to 1796 so it was a "Kelly" area..no O'Neil's....
Catherine would be married in her own Parish which wouldn't be to far away as the crow flies but could be in another County..eg Mayo...!!!
Have you located any of the Children's whereabouts...? If I can hazard a guess those who are living in Knockavnnagat (1901) are some of them..eg Michael jnr.

Rose

Rose Report 5 Oct 2010 22:09

That is great.I know that John 1840 my grandfather came over to north east England when he was young but i don't know who with.I do know Patrick married Catherine Conneely on 25-5-1859 in Taum registry office, so he must have stoped in Ireland and had his family there but i am not sure