Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption query and Marriage query - Does anyone kn

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 6 Oct 2010 12:39

If a person married using a surname that's not their legal one - does this make the marriage illegal?

Also is there anyway of finding out if a person was adopted?

Thanks,

Lou

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Oct 2010 12:53

Can answer the first question! You can marry in any name as long as it isn't done for fraudulent purposes.

Jonesey has a good thread on adoption:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1188821

Jan

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 6 Oct 2010 13:02

Hi Jan,

I am surprised as I did think you could call yourself anything you liked but you had to use your legal name for any offical documents. That's surprised me.

I will check out your suggestion.

thanks again,

Lou

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Oct 2010 13:05

Well, if you think about it, if women marry and change their name they can re-marry in either one - married names have no legal significance, just a tradition. But it does seem strange I agree!
jan

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 6 Oct 2010 13:09

Hi Jan,

Thanks for enlightening me. I am still getting my heard around it. I just wish I'd known that when I divorced. I'd have changed back to my maiden name rather than continually being called Mrs .......... So annoying.

thanks again, Lou