Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

USA marriage or birth search. Can anyone help me

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 6 Oct 2010 13:30

I have found what I think is my Great GrandUncle's ancestors. My ancestor emigrated to the USA. We don't have any evidence to link our families together. She had the marriage license but it doens't give his father's name or any occupation etc so help us. She is new to FH and says she can't find the marriage certificate because they didn't have any in the USA then. But I'm not convinced.

I was wondering if any of you sleuths could help. The year was 1893.

Thanks Lou

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Oct 2010 13:38

You could check the Ellis Island site for his arrival in USA. It will probably give the name of his nearest relative in England.

http://www.ellisisland.org/

Or post his name here and we can look for him.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 6 Oct 2010 13:51

Hi Margaret,

I have the whole families emigration details and have cross referenced them with Ancestry and Ellis Island, but it doens't give any relative in England on any of their papers.

He was Arthur J Baker and married in 1893 in Pittsburg Pennsylvania USA.

His birth was in South Wales Uk and I have his certificate. The other contact has a rough year of birth and area of South Wales. But the year doens't exactly match. They don't know of any siblings to Arthur or his parents names so that doens't help.

I don't know anything about marriage certificates in the USA so I could be wasting my time if they don't have his father's name on it. But I will never know if I don't try.

Thanks again, Lou

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Oct 2010 14:07

He's not this one, is he? Isaac Yeo is father-in-law.

1900 United States Federal Census
about Arthur J Baker
Name: Arthur J Baker
Home in 1900: Lower Saint Clair, Allegheny, Pennsylvania
Birth Date: Mar 1873
Birthplace: England
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1883
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: England
Mother's Birthplace: England
Spouse's name: Mary J Baker
Marriage Year: 1893
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 7
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Arthur J Baker 27
Mary J Baker 25
Lilly M Baker 5
Arthur J Baker 4
Isaac Yeo 49

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 6 Oct 2010 14:11

Hi Margaret,

Yes that's the one. The marriage license says he was married on 2 Oct 1893

Lou

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Oct 2010 14:14

Original says that Arthur & Mary were both born England. he emigrated 1883 and she 1892. They'd been married 7 years had 3 children, 2 still living. Father-in-law emigrated 1891.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 6 Oct 2010 14:23

Hi Margaret,

Thanks. I already have that info though.

It's the marriage certificate I am trying to find so that I can order it. I don't know how it works in USA. I just can't find it. So can't order it!

Actually he emigrated in 1881. And this is part of the problem nothing is accurate. The year of birth the other person has is 1873 but it's actually 1872. The actual date she has was 27 April whereas it's actually 27 March! But with so many Arthur J Baker's born in S Wales it's hard to know if there is another one as a close match without ordering them all.

Lou

Thelma

Thelma Report 6 Oct 2010 14:27

Ministers' returns of marriages performed in the City of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1875-1909
Mary Jane Yeo - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Marriage: 02 OCT 1893 Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania
From IGI

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 6 Oct 2010 14:36

Hi SatNav,

Thanks that's her.

Do you know what 'Ministers' returns of marriages' is? or where can I get the certificate?

Thanks, Lou

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Oct 2010 14:40

Sorry, Lou, I just didn't understand quite what you were looking for. Must learn to read the posts more thoroughly.

Thelma

Thelma Report 6 Oct 2010 14:42

Try this from Google
http://vitalrec.com/pa.html
But I have never known a Welshman call himself English.

Thelma

Thelma Report 6 Oct 2010 14:45

Marriage records are not available from the Division of Vital Records. They are usually obtained from the courthouse in the county where the marriage license was issued

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 6 Oct 2010 14:56

Hi Margaret,

Thanks ok I really do appreciate your time and help though. I often get carried away and help someone only to discover what I'd found they already had too.

SatNav,

Thanks for the tip will try that next. I didn't know about the courthouse though, I just assumed they were for those who attended court through criminal activities - silly me it never occured to me that it might also be for certs etc.

Because of that tip I've found a courthouse for the area and have sent them an email. So fingers crossed!

Thanks again for that tip. Will still check out the website.

Thanks too Margaret for your help.

Very Best Regards and Good Luck to you both in your own research.

Lou