Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry download problems??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 10 Oct 2010 11:46

Anyone having problems saving images from Ancestry to thier hard drive?
Yesterday, and tried again today, I was trying to save some and although it said it had done it I can't find them! And if I try again it says it's file already exists and do I want to overwrite it.

They are not in either the usual place I save these too or any where in my hard drive, I have done a 'search' of my hard drive to check too.
I can see a call to Ancestry tomorrow to sort this out, but wondered if anyone else had this problem. It was the UK Incoming passenger lists I was on at the time, not tried anything else.

Thanks
Patricia:)

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 10 Oct 2010 13:53

Patricia I have had this problem also (there are images on my computer but I don't know where!).
For some reason it is to do with how the images are viewed. If you are on 'Advanced Viewer' there is that box up to the top rt which says save but It seems to save to some strange place.

If you click on image options untick advanced viewer and just have 'Enhanced Images' then you can right click on the image and the 'save as' etc come up and you can save oK. If you get an answer from Ancestry I'll be interessted to know what they say

Jennifer

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 10 Oct 2010 13:55

so at the moment if I want to save something I go back to just enhanced images but then retick the Advanced Viewer for general browsing

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 10 Oct 2010 14:45

I'm having problems too. I tried to send the images to someone but wasn't able to the way I used to do it. Anyone know a way of doing it now?

Patricia

Patricia Report 10 Oct 2010 15:05

Jennifer, I have no idea what viewer I use, I'll look when I get in from work tonight, but never had a problem until yesterday

MM, can't help with that I'm afraid as the only person I send stuff to hasn't got a pc anyway so I have to print it out........I will get him into the 21st century even if it kills me!! lol

Patricia

Patricia Report 11 Oct 2010 10:44

Well I have rung Ancestry and was told I need technical support and to ring after 1500hrs as the support is based in the US. As I shall be at work myself then I have sent an email explaining my problem, but I have a feeling that with a 24 business hour response time they give means I shall be ringing them myself before I get a reply!

With the increasing interest in FH I would have hoped that at least each continent would have it’s own technical support, and not rely on the US to provide it.

EDIT Jennifer it is the advance viewer I use, but it was working perfectly well on Friday, but I need the images so I am going to try another pc and to save direct to a memory stick

June

June Report 11 Oct 2010 14:01

Mine went to adobe when I tried to find it said I needed PDF

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 11 Oct 2010 18:27

Patricia if you get a reply from Ancestry do let me know.

Thanks Jennifer

Patricia

Patricia Report 11 Oct 2010 19:52

I will Jennifer but it will be at least Wednesday before I can ring again.

Although I have not tried another pc yet, this pc is ancient here at work and I can't access the images anyway, I was able to download an image to a memory stick with no problems. It's better than nothing! lol

Patricia

Patricia Report 13 Oct 2010 17:59

Ok got in touch with Ancestry now all sorted, seems a recent update from microsoft may have caused the problem, I had to go to this page

http://ancestryuk.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ancestryuk.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5253&p_created=1284587272&p_sid=tvgozock&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NjcsNjcmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWV4cGVyaWVuY2U!&p_li=&p_topview=1

then follow the instructions for "Listing Ancestry as a trusted site" if that didn't work try the "Manageing your Internet Cache and Cookies" Apparently Ancestry does need to be listed!!
NOTE : when you enter the site name make sure you enter it using the ancestry site you use, as mine is .co I had to enter *.ancestry.co.uk

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 13 Oct 2010 19:00

I had some glitches myself - and now notice that this post is twice as wide as it should be!

Can anyone tell me how to switch to Advanced Viewer? I used to get a message reminding me, but the message is no longer there.

Patricia

Patricia Report 13 Oct 2010 19:33

Opps I think that might be the link I posted which has caused it to go so wide!!
When you have the image open, click on options [just above the image] then click on advance viewer, think thats right, doing this from memory

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 13 Oct 2010 20:41

Patricia have just followed the instructions and 'BINGO' I can now save and find my images again.

Many thanks Jennifer

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 13 Oct 2010 23:55

Well, Patricia, I did as you said - and it tells me I already have the enhanced viewer!!! Silly me.