Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP bravery awards

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emily

Emily Report 10 Oct 2010 13:02

Hi can anyone tell me where I can obtain information on awards for bravery?
The family story is that my G Grandfather, Nicholas Smith(b1861 Cornwall) who was residing in West Ham, rescued someone from the Thames who was trying to commit suicide. He received an award for bravery for doing this, but got sick from the Thames/rescue and died himself as a result. He was a single father, and lockman at the docks at the time and left behind a young family. He died Dec Qtr 1910.
Does anyone have any idea where to find official records of the award? Or even newspaper articles about the incident or death?
Thanks

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 10 Oct 2010 13:05

You might be able to search the Timesonline via your local library. In Kent we just use our Library Card ID number to access it. I think also that there are one or two Counties that offer online membership and access that way.

Have you tried searching the London Gazette? It might not be in there but they listed awards and medals etc during the wars so they may have listed them between wars. Worth a try. They have an online searchable facility.

Jill

Emily

Emily Report 10 Oct 2010 13:10

Thanks Jill, No I have not tried them yet. Online is the way to go for me though - I live in Australia.
I might try the London Gazette - thanks again for the ideas.

Emily

Emily Report 10 Oct 2010 13:39

Thanks for your help Joan, I'll give it a try.