Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I combine the same relative on different br

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 17 Oct 2010 22:25

Sorry if this is an old topic - I can't find where this problem is addressed, and I'm sure I'm not the only one this has occured to.

I have some ancestors that crop up on different branches - for example, 2 different ggguncles married sisters from the same family, resulting in a common set of ggggrandparents and thus all the ancestors before them.

Rather than repeat all the information, is there a way to get the records to recognise that the people from one branch are the same as the other?

Any help will be gratefully received

Thanks

Kim :)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Oct 2010 22:39

I assume the tree is on here? In which case you have to put them twice. I have this is my family - I just made one of the person's two names a dead end.
Jan

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Oct 2010 06:49

Unlike commercial tree programs which allow you to create multiple relationships between individuals and branches, on GR it is not possible to link up someone who appears twice in your tree, for example, pairs of brothers and sisters who married each other, or cousins who got married in your tree. You will have to enter that person twice.

If you use a tree program and upload a gedcom file to GR, you can get around the problem, although I have noticed that even then, not all types of relationship will always display as you might expect.

Suein10b

Suein10b Report 18 Oct 2010 17:34

You cannot do this on the genes tree build facility.
You can however do this on a family tree program on your home computer.
You can export your gedcom from genes and import in to the program make the changes then export the new gedcom back to genes

There are quite a few free programs you can download to do this.

Legacy is a good free one although there are others available free to download.
Sue