Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1841 Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 18 Oct 2010 18:19

It seems to me that a lot of people do not realise that in the 1841 census, the ages of those of 15 and over were rounded down to the nearest 5 years. Thus someone who is entered as 15 could be 15-19 years old and someone entered as 20 could be 20- 24 years old etc.

To confuse things, some enumerators did put the actual age for everyone. They obviously didn't read their instructions!

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 18 Oct 2010 19:10

Yes Susan

The 1841 census is a bit of a problem with regards to ages and the lack of other info too!

I always use the 1851 census as my guideline as it SHOULD give correct details of a family.

Also get copies of orignal census..... not just the transcriptions as numerous error can occur..

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Oct 2010 20:05

and the fact that you can get apparent twins or triplets can also confuse people!