Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Maiden Names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kayleigh

Kayleigh Report 20 Oct 2010 16:48

Hi
I haven't posted anything here before but was wondering if someone could help me. I'm struggling to find the married names of some of the females in my tree. They are not on marriage certificates or their children's birth certificates. Is there any way of finding this information out??
Kayleigh x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 Oct 2010 17:09

Kayleigh, I assume you mean maiden names as that is in your heading? This is pretty unusual - are they actual certs. or parish records?
Jan

Kayleigh

Kayleigh Report 20 Oct 2010 17:19

Yes, maiden names and who female relatives married. Theyre not shown on the information I can search on this website, any advice??
Kayleigh x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 Oct 2010 17:21

Kayleigh, I can't quite figure this out. Can you tell us which records you are accessing? Maybe if you give actual names, locations and dates it might become clearer.
Jan

Kayleigh

Kayleigh Report 20 Oct 2010 17:39

There are 200 people in my tree and this applies to a few of them so Il give one example. My great grandma's (Ethel Wardley, born 1899 in Roccliffe, died 2005 in Derby) has a sister called Alice Robinson (born 1893 in Boston) I'm unable to find who she married as she has quite a common name and her husbands name is not on the record. I am therefore unable to find her death record as I dont know what her name was when she died. Hope this is clearer.
Kayleigh x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 Oct 2010 17:47

You say "her husbands name is not on the record" - what record do you mean? There is no way to find out who she married with a common name like this unless you look for possibles.

Hang on, are you looking on Freebmd site? If you click on the last number next to "Ann Robinson" you will see other names.
For example, you would click on 1452 to see Mr. Morrill's first name:

Marriages Mar 1913 (>99%)
Robinson Annie Morrill Goole 9c 1452

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Oct 2010 17:51

I think Kayleigh is looking at the GRO index. Spouses surnames weren't shown until Sep 1911.

Do you have Alice on 1901 or 1911? That would give an indication were (if it happened) she was married.

If the marriage record is before 1911, then try to find her(or ask for a look up) on the 1911 under the different married name options.

mgnv

mgnv Report 20 Oct 2010 18:12

Kayleigh - you can't find actual English birth certs online. All you can find online is the GRO index. This is available on GR, but for pre 1935ish, a better search facility is obtained by searching on FreeBMD. Before mid 1911, the GRO index did not list mother's maiden surnames. Similarly, the index did not list the spouse's surname pre 1912. (Of course, the actual b.certs and m.certs have this info). For a marr, naturally the spouse is listed on the m.cert, so the index will give the same ref (i.e., date, RDistrict, vol, page) for them, so you can look at all the names with the same ref - there's usually 2 brides and 2 grooms, but they're not paired up. If the marr took place in a church, the parish record for it may be online, but not on GR.

Actual BMD certs are best purchased from the GRO:
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Kayleigh

Kayleigh Report 20 Oct 2010 19:02

Thank you :) x