Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canadian Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anthony

Anthony Report 23 Oct 2010 01:10

Hi I would be very grateful if any members could help me with my problem. I applied to the authorities in Montreal to obtain a copy certificate of my g/father and the reply that I received basically said no but in a very complex way stating this act that act and so on. Does anybody know if there is an uncomplicated way at all and if so how. I would really like this piece of the puzzle as I have no other way of getting this info from living family members, as my parents divorced and my step-family want nothing to do with me.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Oct 2010 02:00

registration and release of bmd (or Vital Statistics) in Canada is under the control of the province

there are very strict rules on the date for release of bmd information, these dates can vary by province ... but basically can be referred to as the 50 / 75 or 80 / 100 year rules

In other words ..... by law, information cannot be released before the expiry of those number of years.

Quebec states very clearly that in applying for a certificate:-

you must:

.... establish your interest in obtaining a certificate or a copy of an act that concerns someone else (section 148 of the Québec Civil Code).
The Directeur de l’état civil reserves the right to demand that persons applying for a certificate or a copy of an act supply the information and documents required to establish their identity and interest in filing an application.

The Directeur de l'état civil must ensure that only authorized persons request and receive certificates and copies of acts. Therefore, you cannot use the present service if you are acting as the legal representative (e.g., lawyer, notary, social service provider, spouse) of the person concerned by the event.

so you either fall under the fact that the death occurred more recently than the release year

and / or you do not fit the requirements for receiving a copy of the death certificate

sylvia