Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why cant I find the births?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 23 Oct 2010 15:06

On the 1881 census I can see three family members born in uk yet when I check the births and enter dates and town of birth they all come up as "unable to find "

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 23 Oct 2010 15:10

Could be mistranscribed

Could be mistaken about the year of birth on the census

Could be born somewhere other than that given on census

Maybe births weren't registered.

Do you want to give some more info and see if anyone here can find them?

Mary

Wendy

Wendy Report 23 Oct 2010 15:19

Thank you.
Annie Murray born 1872 Chester Cheshire
Selina Murray born 1874 Aldershot
Catherine Murray born 1877 Belfast
At the time of the 1881 cencus they must have been living in the Richmond Yorkshire area as their father Thomas was a serving soldier and presumably stationed up there.Mother Catherine was also alive then and I am still trying to find her maiden name as she was born in Ireland.I thought if I could trace one of these births it would tell me what her maiden name was as I have had no luck elsewhere!!!

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 23 Oct 2010 15:42

Aldershot was Farnham registration district until 1932

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 23 Oct 2010 16:09

Possibly no connection at all but....cut & pasted from IGI Pilot info

Name Anna Joanna Murray
Gender Female
Baptism/Christening Date 01 May 1872
Baptism/Christening Place Chester, Cheshire, England
Birth Date 08 Mar 1872
Birthplace
Death Date
Name Note
Race
Father's Name Thomae Murray
Father's Birthplace
Father's Age
Mother's Name Catharinae Waldron
Mother's Birthplace
Mother's Age
Indexing Project (Batch) Number C01878-5
System Origin England-ODM
Source Film Number 2068140
Reference Number

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 23 Oct 2010 16:47

the probable birth references for Selina & Annie were both given you yesterday on your other thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1245881

It is best to keep to the same thread for members of the same family Wendy as it saves duplication of effort from other members trying to help you

Wendy

Wendy Report 23 Oct 2010 17:56

Hi Lancashire Ann
Yes I did get some of the information yesterday but I then looked on Freebmd for the births to see if I could find if their mothers maiden name mentioned but they just said the records could not be found. It was another member who said I would be better opening up a new thread to trace the births rather than trying to find a marriage of thomas and catherine, which is what I did. And still I haven't found her maiden name !!!! So I will leave this for now and try some other branches of the family

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 23 Oct 2010 22:47

Hi Wendy

I think what Jan actually said at the start of your other thread was to DELETE that one before starting one about Oz or NZ.

As almost immediately after several others put up suggestions I think you were right to keep that thread but as this one is asking about the same births in England it can be rather confusing (for both you and other helpers ) if info is in 2 separate threads on 2 different boards.

You will not find any mother's maiden name mentioned on freebmd before 1911. You need to buy the birth certificate for that which is actually the safest way to go as Thomas and Catherine could have been married in any of at least 3 countries. The Catherine shown in the 1871 census could even be a second wife.

Without a birth certificate of the child who led you to this family in the first place it is v difficult to prove with a common name like Murray.

Wendy

Wendy Report 23 Oct 2010 23:07

Thank you for your help