Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

American Air Force Records in the UK??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 29 Oct 2010 14:57

Does anyone know if there are records kept in the UK of American Air Forcemen that were here in the UK in the 1950s?
I'm trying to trace my paternal grandfather but have limited information. His name is Pete Shelton and was based at Middleton Stoney Airbase in Oxfordshire. He would have been there in 1954 (aged around 23 years) and according to a tatty piece of paper I have he flew back to the States in September 1954.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 29 Oct 2010 19:15

Paul...To the best of my knowledge the Air Base would be under US Military duristiction and therefore all records would be held by the US...you may find something on this website which may help in your quest...(it is USAF)

www.raf-upper-heyford.org

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Oct 2010 20:15

Try this site

http://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/faq/MilRecords.htm

It says
...Individual military departments, including the Air Force, do not maintain files or records pertaining to individuals no longer on active duty. When an individual is separated from military service (because of retirement, discharge from active duty, or death), his/her Field Personnel File (containing all military and health records) is forwarded for storage to the National Personnel Records Center(Military). The Records Center is under the jurisdiction of the National Archives and Records Administration of the United States Government......

The link on the page takes you to
http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/index.html

Annabel

Annabel Report 30 Oct 2010 06:07

Hi Paul

have sent you a message

cheers Annabel

Paul

Paul Report 4 Nov 2010 13:32

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for the responses, it seems that this is going to be somewhat of a mine field to find any concrete information regarding this relative!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 4 Nov 2010 15:26

you MIGHT get some response if........
you know his squadron, or one that he served with,
there is, for example a website that relates to Glatton, and the US 8th airforce,near Peterborough...
They hold a reunion here most years, but of course numbers are dwindling now as they grow too old to travel......

there are many websites relating to the services of American Airmen. there might even be one relating to middleton stoney...try googling ..and best of luck

Bob

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 4 Nov 2010 15:54

Bob...The one I posted relates to MS...has year books/ reunions...Find an Airman etc....it is US Personnel.