Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a signature

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 3 Nov 2010 21:39

Does anyone know a likely source for an original signature? I have a 1905 marriage record for my grandfather, but I would very much like to obtain a sample of his handwriting for comparison with later documents. (I suspect he was a serial bigamist.)
As the document I have is a certified copy, I assume everything on it was hand copied by a clerk. Would the original exist? Would it contain the signatures of the bride and groom? Witnesses? Anyone know how to obtain such a thing?
Thanks from Dave in Canada.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Nov 2010 21:53

If he married in church you could view the actual register or perhaps get a printout from a filmed copy which would likely be in a main library or archive local to the event.

If he left a Will you could see a signature there.

Gwyn

Thelma

Thelma Report 3 Nov 2010 21:56

It will be in the original register. You will not get sight of a Registry office marriage. But you should find a church register.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 3 Nov 2010 22:10

is the 1911 census in his handwriting and signed at the bottom?

mgnv

mgnv Report 4 Nov 2010 03:16

You could also find his signature on a WW1 enlistment.

TerryFromGloucester

TerryFromGloucester Report 4 Nov 2010 08:43

My Gt Gt Grandfather got married in 1832, then again in 1837 following the death of his first wife (whilst giving birth). The marriages were both by licence and there is his signature on both. I saw the originals at our local Archives office.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Nov 2010 08:50

There was a thread on this last year with a mini-survey amongst GR members re original signatures on marriage certs.

In the end it was conceded that to have a copy with the original signatures was the exception, rather than the rule.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 4 Nov 2010 10:29

If he married in London there are scans of records on Ancestry, which I believe are scans of the actual original records

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Nov 2010 11:09

Yes, that's right. You need to find the original records, little hope just going for a certificate unless you strike it really lucky.

David

David Report 4 Nov 2010 20:36

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. It seems the best source for a signature would be the church record. He was married in the parish church in Frodingham, Lincoln.
I guess the best place to start searching for the original record would be the LDS church.

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Nov 2010 04:19

I don't think their films are that recent - maybe check out:

http://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/section.asp?sectiontype=topic&catid=22003

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Nov 2010 06:14

I think your best bet has already been suggested - the 1911 census.