Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rowditch Union Workhouse Derby

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jano1944

jano1944 Report 4 Nov 2010 23:03

Trying to trace my granmother found her in 1901 census in the union worhouse Rowditch Derby working as a laundress,does that mean she was an inmate? Spent 2years trying to trace her before that, any help PLEASE.
Thanks
Jan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Nov 2010 00:07

Have you looked at the image? Does it say Servant or Inmate? Workhouses were also used as hospitals as well as places for the poor.

This website describes life in the workhouses, and their transformation, in a number of cases, in to NHS hospitals.
www.workhouses.org.uk

If you're stuck, then post her details - name- year of birth - place of birth - father and/or mother's names if you know them.

If you don't know her father's name, it may be on her MC. Should you not have that, you may be able to find the reference to order it on freebmd.

DET

jano1944

jano1944 Report 5 Nov 2010 00:30

Thanks just looked at the census but all it has is laundress in school.One the census she gave her name as Clarissa E Faulkner, age 26yrs.Born Barton & Walton (that was a train station) between Barton village and Walton village.
In Aug 1901 she married my grandfather Thomas Parker in Derby, Gave her age as 23yrs name Clarissa Ellen Faulkner. father William (deceased)profession farmer. My uncle was born 3 months later!!!!
1911 census her age changed again born 1878 Walton on Trent. I have looked for Clarissa Ellen .Ellen Clarissa. tried every variation She was one special lady
and like a mum to me.
Any help you can give would be great.

Many thanks Jan

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Nov 2010 03:45

don't forget that birth years on a census are just estimates .......... the actual census asked for a person's age on census night

The modern day transcriber changed this to birth year

depending on date of birth and date of census, birth years may be as much as 2 years out

PLUS people in those days were not as hung up on age as we are, and often didn't know or couldn't remember exactly how old they were

so always use census birth years as estimates only ...... search for birth year +/ 5 years!

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Nov 2010 03:58

Janet

Derek has a long-running thread on Derbyshire, on this board.

I have bumped it up for you

The thread url is

www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1091204

May I suggest that you ask him for help

sylvia

Julia

Julia Report 5 Nov 2010 08:35

Janet, I have a little personal knowledge of the Rowditch area of Derby, which may be of interest, in you search.
Julia in Derbyshire

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 5 Nov 2010 08:47

Looking at the 1901 image she is on the first page for the workhouse and is in the 'middle' of the staff listing....So employed there rather than an inmate.

Chris

jano1944

jano1944 Report 5 Nov 2010 08:51

Thanks Sylvia
I have looked from 1875 to 1878,the family always had her birthday as 26th Feb 1878 but how true was that.Have found Derek, her is going to see if Matlock has any records on the workhouse next time he goes.
Jan

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 5 Nov 2010 09:13

Maybe she was registered as Clara?

From FreeBMD

Births Dec 1878
Faulkner Clara Burton 6b 393

I'm not good on northern geography but Burton registration district seems to cover the area.

Chris

** Sorry I crossed with your update...So this doesn't match your expected birthdate.

Julia

Julia Report 5 Nov 2010 09:39

Janet, it is worth having a Google for the Union Workhouse. Just had a quick look, and there is information. Got to go out now, but will look in later.
Julia in Derbyshire

jano1944

jano1944 Report 6 Nov 2010 21:16

Thanks Chris
Now starting to wonder how much is realy true about my grandmother.
Jan