Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Consanguinity

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stuart

Stuart Report 17 Nov 2010 19:38

My parents were first cousins. It is impossible for me to construct a realistic family tree using Genes Reunited because the programming will not allow it. I hope this is just inadequate programming and not a despicable slur on their marriage!
My Mum has to have an extra 'branch' entry in my tree because it is impossible to link her as my mother, who is, according to their program, my 'first cousin once removed' , because her father and my Dad's father were brothers. Her genetic degree of relationship to me drops from 50% as my mother to 6.25% as my first cousin once removed!
When I told Genes Reunited about this grossly inadequate programming and the resulting farsical tree it gave me they said that they have had so many 'teething' problems that their management team will take this into consideration as they 'continually' work to enhance the website! Despite this glaring inadequacy which leaves my family tree a farsical construct they say that they are unable to give me my money back because I've used their services to contact other members!
If you've got married cousins in your family tree please let me know how you've managed to construct your tree.
Stuart Askew

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 17 Nov 2010 20:22

There's no way to get around the problem on your Genes tree. No problem at all, though, on other family tree programs like Familytree Maker.

Joy

Joy Report 17 Nov 2010 20:23

Am amazed to read about 'teething' problems! :-)

Try tribal pages which I understand is free
http://tribalpages.com/

Also, you could join family tree forum (free) and put a GEDCOM there.
www.familytreeforum.com/

Thelma

Thelma Report 17 Nov 2010 20:24

You might have got a quicker reply if I didnt have to look up all the big words.
you have to put your mother or her father in tree twice,
Or build the tree elsewhere and download it.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Nov 2010 06:20

Not a big deal, as far as I am concerned. The GR tree, for me, is just a means of recording the names that I wish to share / match with other members.

My master tree is on my PC in Family Tree Maker, which will happily manage multiple relationships such as cousins marrying. In fact I have several in my tree. I then upload a gedcom to GR every now and again to keep it up to date.. Problem solved.

Incidentally the GR tree comes as part of the Free Membership, so you haven't actually paid anything for the use of it. Your subscription covers the access to other members and the message boards.

Persephone

Persephone Report 18 Nov 2010 10:08

As Satnav says, you can always put your correct inter relationships within your family in another tree and then import as a gedcom to GR, that way it will show correctly and there is no need for double ups etc.
My tree is positively incestuous with so many relatives marrying each other and my grandparents were first cousins.

You cannot gedcom from Tribal pages to GR only to it, but in all other aspects it is quite good though you cannot print long generation reports.

GR is built around the premise of contacting people - not on how your tree is detailed.

Persey