Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Problem with building tree.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Derek

Derek Report 18 Nov 2010 22:46

Can someone help. I have been building my family tree. I found details on a family of relations. There were 2 brothers on one branch who both married wives with surname Fuller. I researched one brother who married Emma Sarah Fuller. I was given a whole lot of information on her ancestors and built it into my tree.. Later I researched the other brother and found a link with his wifes family she was Mary Ann Fuller and it transpires she was sister to Emma. The two sisters had married two young men from the same village, who were brothers.

I have now two strands of tree that i want to merge or connect, but am not sure how to do this. At the moment Alfred, one of the brothers, appears twice at opposite ends of the tree. I would like to merge these references into one and link the tree correctly.

Sorry if i have explained it badly, but I dont really want to rebuild the tree from scratch and input all the information again.

Please can someone advise.

Derek

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Nov 2010 23:05

You've explained it well, Derek. A lot of us have the same problem with sisters marrying brothers. It's impossible to merge the families on the GR tree but very easy to do on other family tree programs such as Familytree Maker, the one I use.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Nov 2010 06:58

Extracted from "Help"

"It is not possible to link up someone who appears twice in your tree, for example, brothers and sisters who married each other, or cousins who got married in your tree. You will have to enter that person twice."