Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

no photo copies

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Moira

Moira Report 20 Nov 2010 14:10

Has anyone come across this before.
I went to Barnsley Archives and found the marriage I was looking for.
When I asked for a photo copy I was told that they did not do photo copies of any BMD after 1837 because they are available on Certs.

Joy

Joy Report 20 Nov 2010 14:37

No, I have always received help not hindrance from staff in archives and records offices.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Nov 2010 14:52

Presumably this was from the Parish Register?

Moira

Moira Report 20 Nov 2010 14:56

yes it was from the parish reg.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Nov 2010 16:25

In that case there is no reason why you can't have a copy.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 20 Nov 2010 17:27

I'd argue that the details on Parish registers aren't always the same as the certificates. I've taken a print of a marriage on a parish register (30p) and I've ordered the certificate for the same marriage.

The reason being....the parish marriage didn't give me the father's occupation however it did give me the mother's name which wasn't on the certificate.