Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Austrian ancestors

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mikkin59

mikkin59 Report 20 Nov 2010 15:51

Hi, Im thinking of doing my mothers tree. But she was Austrian and Im not sure how to go about it. Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Lorna

Lorna Report 20 Nov 2010 15:56

Try looking on familysearch.org

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Nov 2010 15:59

can you give us the names you are looking for in Austria - we may be able to help

mikkin59

mikkin59 Report 20 Nov 2010 16:07

Hi, thanks for the replies. My mothers name was Leopoldine Prochazka. I think she was born in Vienna in 1930. Thanks again.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Nov 2010 16:08

Husband's Name
Frank William PROCHASKA (AFN:1NLS-TRM) Pedigree

Born: 9 Jan 1894 Place: Vienna, , Austria
Died: 22 Dec 1970 Place: Fresno, , Ca

Father:
Mother:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wife's Name
Louise Josephine TOLER (AFN:1NLW-4W8) Pedigree

Born: 11 Nov 1893 Place: Orosi, , Ca
Died: 26 Nov 1975 Place: Orosi, , Ca

Father: William Ernest TOLER (AFN:BXQF-6C) Family
Mother: Martha Louise RAGLE (AFN:2TD6-ZT)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Children

1. Sex Name
U Living (AFN:1NLS-TT2)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Nov 2010 16:11

Husband's Name
Leopold PROCHAZKA (AFN:1JR6-LDW) Pedigree

Born: Abt 1723 Place: Of Polna, Bohemia, Austria
Married: Place:

Father:
Mother:

Wife's Name
Leopold MRS PROCHAZKA (AFN:1JR6-LF4) Pedigree

Born: Abt 1727 Place: Of Polna, Bohemia, Austria
Married: Place:
Children
1. Sex Name
M Johann PROCHAZKA (AFN:1JR6-LGB) Pedigree

Born: Abt 1755 Place: Of Polna, Bohemia, Austria

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Nov 2010 16:12

Anna Prochaska Compact Disc #72 Pin #749677 Pedigree
Sex: F

Event(s)
Death: 1886

Marriage(s)
Spouse: Vincent Melkus Disc #72 Pin #749676
Marriage: 1878
Misliborice, Bohemia

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Nov 2010 16:13

26. Joseph PROCHAZKA - 1880 United States Census / Nebraska
Other Gender: Male Birth: BOHEMIA

27. John PROCHAZKA - 1880 United States Census / Nebraska
Self Gender: Male Birth: BOHEMIA

28. Frances PROCHAZKA - 1880 United States Census / Nebraska
Wife Gender: Female Birth: BOHEMIA

29. Joseph PROCHAZKA - 1880 United States Census / Pennsylvania

30. Josephine PROCHAZKA - 1880 United States Census / Pennsylvania

31. Josephine PROCHAZKA - 1880 United States Census / Pennsylvania
Dau Gender: Female Birth: BOHEMIA

32. Frank PROCHAZKA - 1880 United States Census / Ohio

33. Marie PROCHAZKA - 1880 United States Census / Ohio

34. Carl PROCHAZKA - 1880 United States Census / Wisconsin

35. Anna PROCHAZKA - 1880 United States Census / Wisconsin

mikkin59

mikkin59 Report 20 Nov 2010 16:33

Thanks, I dont know if any of those are related. All I know of my mother is that she was born in 1930 in Austria, quite likely Vienna but thats not definate. Dont know her parents names, or if she had any siblings. She married a Victor Turrell in the mid 50s in England.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 20 Nov 2010 16:43

England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1916-2005
about Victor E Turrell
Name: Victor E Turrell
Spouse Surname: Prochazka
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1956
Registration district: Southampton
Registration county (inferred): Hampshire
Volume Number: 6b
Page Number: 1520

(obtaining Marriage Cert. should help with her fathers name, hopefully!)

Chris :)

www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Nov 2010 17:16

just thought I'd post those I found on the free Mormon site

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 21 Nov 2010 01:47

Hi
I have a little experience of Austrian research having traced my wife's tree, but with limited success.
Before 1938 the BMD's were the equivalent of our Parish Records. This is ok in the small villages which may only have one church, but not such good news in Vienna, there will be loads of parishes. But there is a Vienna archive which may be able to help. Do you know roughly where in Vienna she was born?
The Austrian telephone directory is online, it shows there are 2 people in Vienna now named Leopoldine Prochaska. It might be worth writing to them, I have a draft in German if you're interested. The addresses are at http://www.herold.at/telefonbuch/wien/leopold-prochaska/
There may also be an entry on something called Meldezette, which I don't entirely understand - it's a sort of household registration which was carried out until (I think) 1948.
Do you have any further information at all about your mother?
Duncan

mikkin59

mikkin59 Report 22 Nov 2010 23:44

Duncan. Thanks for all that. I dont have any further information about my mother. All I know is what if mentioned on here. I dont have her birth certificate.

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 23 Nov 2010 00:46

This is worth a look too, a website about tracing your ancestors in Vienna - http://www.wien.gv.at/english/history/archives/ancestors.html
Duncan

mikkin59

mikkin59 Report 26 Nov 2010 15:59

I now have a bit more information on my mother. She was born Leopoldine Mathilda Prochazka in Vienna on 7th Jan 1930. Her mothers maiden name was Mathilda Lauda. Her father was Viktor Prochazka, he died c1942.
My mother had several siblings. Viktor. Franz. Rudolph. Fritz. Margaret. There were a couple more but i dont know the names.
If anyone could help me find out more info I would be very gratefull
Many thanks.

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 28 Nov 2010 02:36

Hi
There is a register of male births in Vienna which would show Viktor senior, (assuming he was under 90 when he died), and possibly where he was born. I found this on http://www.wien.gv.at/english/history/archives/ancestors.html
It might be worth emailling them.
Alternatively, there is a Vienna Genealogy message board on Rootsweb. You register for free, then you could ask the same on there as you have on here, I think that's what I'd be doing if it was me.
Duncan

mikkin59

mikkin59 Report 28 Nov 2010 11:49

Thanks Duncan. Ill try those now.

tricia

tricia Report 29 Nov 2010 15:25

nudge

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 30 Nov 2010 00:22

I tried looking at the message board I suggested, but now I can't find it! Did you have any luck?
It might be worth emailling the archives anyway. (I'm sure they will correspond in English). Even if you only find which parish in Vienna Viktor was from, it will be a giant step forward, hopefully you could then start tracing the family in records.
Duncan