Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Criminal Register - What does No Bill mean?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 22 Nov 2010 21:23

I've just found my ancestor in the Criminal Register he was charged for Larceny.
Under the heading Aquitted & Discharged it states "No Bill". Does anyone know what this means.

Also I've noticed that women's names are underlined - why is this? Could it be the wife's name but using her maiden name?

Many thanks in advance.

Lou

Netty

Netty Report 22 Nov 2010 22:09

Googled your question Lou & this is what came up

"No Bill (Offered) indicates that the Grand Jury issued no indictment and that the Judge had no option but to dismiss the case."

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 23 Nov 2010 15:46

Hi Netty 935540

Many thanks for that. Don't know why I didn't think of googling!! Doh!. I'd never heard of it before. So thanks for that.

Regards, Lou

Netty

Netty Report 23 Nov 2010 16:18

You're welcome Lou, not sure about the underlined Women's names, i have a G G G Aunt who's name is on the Criminal Register, her name is underlined too, but it is her married name.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 23 Nov 2010 16:24

Hi Netty 935540,

I did notice that all the women's names were underlined and wondered if it had anything to do with the counting of women as it would be easier to notice an underlined name rather than read it.

I suppose we'll never know for sure.

Thanks again, Lou

Chevaun

Chevaun Report 23 Nov 2010 17:48

Sorry if this is a stupid question but can you tell me where I can view the Criminal Register?
Thanks.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 23 Nov 2010 18:07

The Criminal Register is on Ancestry. $$$
England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892
Do you have someone specific you want looked up?

Maureen

Chevaun

Chevaun Report 24 Nov 2010 13:43

Hi MaureeninNY,
Thanks for the info.
Yes I did have two people that I would have liked to look up but if the time period is only 1791-1892, it wouldn't cover it. The people that I had in mind would have been in the early 20th century, both of whom were family outcasts for some reason, hence my route down this path...
Does anyone know if it is possible to access records after this time?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chevaun

Chevaun Report 24 Nov 2010 16:42

Thanks for pointing that out Ken and also for directing me to the solution... I'm still very new to forums!

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 24 Nov 2010 17:08

Hi Chevaun,
You could try newspapers for the local area. (library)
Maureen

Chevaun

Chevaun Report 24 Nov 2010 21:38

Maureen,
I will give the library a go, my local one is quite small but I'll try a bigger one in town.
Thanks.

KBS

KBS Report 25 Nov 2010 15:03

How do I access the Criminal Register ? advice please
Have spotted ref to Ancestry . I am looking for info on a convict who was in prison at Rochester (Medway) in 1881 Census
james Cartwright Age 31 Born 1861 St.Lukes London

Chris

Chris Report 25 Nov 2010 19:20

I have essential sub for Ancestry and just can't locate the criminal register. Is it only available on an upgrade? Thank you.

Chris

Netty

Netty Report 25 Nov 2010 19:29

The only Criminal records i can see for that time frame with the name given are Middlesex, they can be viewed here at Old Bailey Online

http://tinyurl.com/342abar

Hope this helps.

Edit: Christine, i have Worldwide Sub on Ancestry, and can access the Criminal Registers, i'm not sure what records you can access on Essential, sorry. I'll gladly take a look for you if it will help.