Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Questions, questions!! PAF to Genes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 23 Nov 2010 23:42

Hello!

Sorry, just finding my feet again after a few years break from my family history, I hope you can help me!

Im not sure where I kept my most up-to-date information - if it was on PAF or genes!

I seem to have 236 relations on Genes, and 277 on PAF, which makes me think that I kept it on PAF, and downloaded onto Genes

If I download into Genes now - will it over-write any additional comments etc that I may have put into Genes??

Thanks for your help - in advance!!!
Stephanie

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Nov 2010 23:53

Yes, any tree you upload here will over-write the original on GR..........as I've found to my cost :((

DET

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 24 Nov 2010 00:06

Thanks, DET!

Decisions, decisions!!! lol!!!

Best wishes,
Stephanie

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Nov 2010 00:12

Well...you could open a free 2nd account and up load it. You wouldn't be able to send messages, but you might find it easier to compare both and copy one to the other.

Good luck, what ever you decide.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 25 Nov 2010 08:27

1. Export your tree from Genes
2. Merge the gedcom that GR send you with your PAF Tree
3. Create a new gedcom from PAF and Import this back to GR

In future, treat your PAF program as your master and periodically update GR with a new gedcom. Far easier this way and you don't get into a muddle as to which is the definitive version of your tree.