Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frank Hanson - Which Marriage?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 25 Nov 2010 15:58

I am trying to establish which marriage relates to my Gt Grandfather, from FreeBMD I get the following:

Marriages Sep 1882 (>99%)
HANSON Frank Halifax 9a 776 Scan available - click to view
Marriages Jun 1883 (>99%)
HANSON Frank Halifax 9a 601 Scan available - click to view
Marriages Dec 1887 (>99%)
Hanson Frank Halifax 9a 714

The next marriage is in 1900 - though FreeBMD may be incomplete.

Frank was born c1863 or 18644 in Halifax ( based upon 1901 & 1911 Census)

Frank married Sarah (surname unknown - I am trying to establish this)

Their first born was Willie Hanson in 1895 - Halifax, whichever marriage it was there appears to be an unusually long gap between possible marriage and first child - it may be that he was married before of course.

Apart from requesting all 3 certificates ( and still may be wrong as Hanson is not an uncommen name in West Yorkshire)

- is there another way to establish which one I should purchase?

TIA Robert..

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 25 Nov 2010 16:15

I think it might be this one as the other's have no Sarah's

Greenwood Sarah Ann Halifax 9a 714
Haley Emma Elizabeth Halifax 9a 714 Scan available - click to view
MATTOCK Willie Halifax 9a 714 Scan available - click to view

RobG

RobG Report 25 Nov 2010 16:16

Robert

The 1887 marriage has a Sarah Ann Greenwood on the same page.
Neither of the other two has a Sarah on the same page.

Not saying that is the right one, but more that the other two is not to a Sarah.

Rob

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 25 Nov 2010 16:18

this is the only marriage for a Frank Hanson on freebmd with a Sarah as a possible spouse:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greenwood Sarah Ann Halifax 9a 714
Haley Emma Elizabeth Halifax 9a 714
MATTOCK Willie Halifax 9a 714

buying Willie's birth cert would confirm

Robert

Robert Report 25 Nov 2010 16:32

Thanks to all for such a quick response

- I was hitting a brick wall moment then and your help is much appreciated

- I missed the option on FreeBMD to enter the spouce's name

..... and to get the birth certificate of one of their children is a double benefit, if I can get my Grandmothers Birth Certificate - Emma - Willies sister, that will kill 2 birds with one stone.

Much appreciated ... Robert

This is what these boards are all about!!

RobG

RobG Report 25 Nov 2010 16:33

Would agree with Helen that the only way to be sure is to by the cert, but it's looking probable....

Assuming the Frank Hanson you want is the Insurance agent of Town Gate, Northowram, Halifax in 1901 Census......then
His wife is Sarah A, born in Shelf

In 1891, Frank Hanson (Insurance Agent) is at a different Northowram address with Sarah Ann, born Stone Chair (!!) (NB their ages vary slightly)

in 1881 (thus before the marriage), Sarah Ann Greenwood is in Stone Chair in Shelf, Yorks, with her widowed mother Ann.

Looking likely.but the cert will confirm.

Rob

Robert

Robert Report 25 Nov 2010 17:02

RobG

Northowram, Shelf and Stone Chair are all pretty close geographically, as I was born in Halifax myself and lived around those parts for my first 18 years I have some knowledge of the area.

This is looking much better now... back on a high.... with more options to pursue....

thanks ....Robert...

RobG

RobG Report 25 Nov 2010 17:17

As you're "a local" you'll have no problem recognising some of the road names/place names from the tricky writing then :-)

Also, for your future reference, in FreeBMD, rather than entering the spouses name (which may have been spelt, or at least transcribed, strangely, just click on the page number (the 714 part in the examples above). This will list those on that page (normally four for weddings, although I do believe it was different at some point). More or less than four names could indicate a transcription problem (either in FreeBMD or even the original index)

Good luck with your search

Robert

Robert Report 25 Nov 2010 17:55

RobG,

Marvelous - just need to know these little short cuts - I suppose over time I will pick these up.

On the local bit - and addresses - many have since gone but knowing the district does help, plus a few elderly relatives still living around there with whom I correspond gives me a nudge in the right direction, and I have a couple of old maps from Alan Godfrey Maps - which I would recommend.

Robert....

Mary

Mary Report 25 Nov 2010 18:50

1911 4,Casson fold Northowram
frank Hanson 1864 halifax market gardener
Sarah A married 22years = 1889!! born 1867 halifax
willie 1895
Ann 1897
Emma 1899
Lucy 1902
Alice 1904
jack 1907
7 children born one died,so maybe they had a child before willie 1895!

Maryb