Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish Minister

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stuart

Stuart Report 25 Nov 2010 22:43

My 4 x Great Grandfather was minister for Dryfesdale parish in Dumfriesshire, Scotland in the early 1800s. I was quite surprised to discover that his father was a 'humble' shoemaker. I had supposed that becoming a man of the cloth would have required substantial money and patronage.
I was wondering if anyone out there has an understanding of how common (or otherwise) it was for ministers to be sons of tradesmen. How big a hurdle was this to climb?

Stuart.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 26 Nov 2010 08:50

Hi, it may have been that your 4xgt grandfather had a 'calling' and worked extremely hard to get the training required. Or perhaps, he caught the eye of a benefactor who paid for him to undergo the training.

I have a relative who came from a line of labourers and who became a Methodist Lay Preacher.

You could always contact the church to see if they hold any records.

Cx

Michael

Michael Report 4 Dec 2010 18:50

Hi Stuart,
2 of my 19th century ancestors, both sons of Scottish tradesmen, became Doctors of Divinity. Have you looked up your ancestor here, assuming he was of the Church of Scotland and not with the Free Church?

http://www.archive.org/details/fastiecclesiu02scotuoft

“Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae” for Merse (Kincardineshire) Teviotdale Dumfries Galloway (1917).

Michael