Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re:Attached Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 28 Nov 2010 14:15

On the Genes Reunited Facebook page someone asked

"Can I ask why if you purchase a record attach it to a family member then go back to view it again on the gallery of the person i have connected it to, do u have to pay again for it??? I'm not paying again for something i have already paid for?"

Genes Reunited response was

"If you paid using credits you only have access to the record for 7 days. In order to save a record you can save to your desktop and have it permanently."

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 28 Nov 2010 14:27

Yes I requested that when using credits notice should be given that this happens, it's poor business practice.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 28 Nov 2010 14:32

I agree very bad practice, that is why I posted it here so others can see it and download the images to their desktops.

I wonder if you then upload the image would it then become a permanent feature in the trees.

I can't test this theory as I don't purchase images off this site. I use Ancestry.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 28 Nov 2010 14:42

Since photos disappear I would be tempted to back them up somewhere else too, for safekeeping.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 28 Nov 2010 15:04

I haven't had a problem with my photos disappearing.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 28 Nov 2010 17:16

Sounds like a very strange system. I hope it doesn't happen to their sister company Scotlandspeople as I keep all my Scottish records that I've bought from them stored on there. It's very useful if your computer crashes and you lose images etc.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 Nov 2010 17:59

GR have a 30 day valid credit system in place now if you have £5 credits,,,,.it used to be 7 days so depends when the credits were bought and when GR changed the use by time.!!

I would challenge it.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 28 Nov 2010 18:07

Basically GR are saying that once you have paid and attached it to your tree after 7 days it will be deleted.

On ScotlandsPeople and the 1911 census site once paid for you can view them as often as you like.

I realise this may be a throw back to the old management but hopefully GR will make it fairer for it's customers on a par with Scotands People

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 28 Nov 2010 18:10

Hope so Tooty :)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 Nov 2010 18:28

So the system doesnt save images?

what GR are saying that,once you have bought,viewed its your duty to save to a folder on your computer then attatch from there?,,,which I supose is fair, but they dont explain any of this till its too late.

Renes

Renes Report 28 Nov 2010 19:23

It is worth noting that if you look at the 1911 census on the 1911census actual site - using your FMP credits - they are all saved in my searches - but if you look at the 1911 census on the FMP site they are not saved -

So it makes sense to switch back and forward between the two sites

Renes

Christine

Christine Report 28 Nov 2010 21:10

So what happens if you have Gold membership?

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 28 Nov 2010 21:14

I assume that you can view for as long as you have the Gold membership.

I think to keep the images you need to download them onto your desktop.