Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A quick question!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janette

Janette Report 28 Nov 2010 20:22

Hi all, recently i became aware that my great grandfather had another child who died young however with no name I was wondering if it was possible to find out when he/she was born and their name. (The child was born before the mother's madien name was added to the general register so i am stuck once again)

Janette :)

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 28 Nov 2010 20:42

Hi Janette

How did you "become aware" of this? Any details might help. Approximate date and place. Somebody on here might have access to baptismal records for that area.

Janette

Janette Report 28 Nov 2010 20:49

Yes, I asked for a 1911 census look up for the household of Walter Dale born 1884 Congleton for the purpose of looking at his occupation which also noted that of 3 children born only two were living.

No-one was however aware of this third child only that after the other 2 children (Fred and Walter) that there were another 2 (Harold and Jack).

Walter married his wife (Ada Lawton) in 1903 and Fred was then born in 1908 and Walter follwed in April 1910.

Thanks again :)

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 28 Nov 2010 20:49

Are you going from the 1911 census?

With any luck ..check FreeBMD for the births/deaths in the area.

Of course if we're in Wales.........

Maureen

Janette

Janette Report 28 Nov 2010 20:55

I have had a look Maureen and there are serveral child who died by the name of Dale in the area in the possible time period however I was draw to:
Deaths Mar 1905 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dale Ada 0 Congleton 8a 212

However that is just me clutching at straws

Janette

mgnv

mgnv Report 29 Nov 2010 06:11

Check out the local index at:

http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/

Although Congleton doesn't give the mum's MS, it does give the subdistrict, so you can sort out Congleton from Church Hulme and Sandbach, all of which are in Congleton RD.
With redistricting, Congleton is now in Cheshire East, and the other 2 subdistricts are now in Ches Cent.

I don't know abt CheshireBMD, but the sister site LancsBMD indexes by year of birth, not quarter of registration.
A GRO birth page should have 10 identical refs, all from the same subdistrict (excl last partial page of subdistrict).
The subdistrict rego only has 5 certs per page - here they're indexing by page.
Marriages are usually indexed by entry #, so one can sort out who wed whom.

Both Fred & Walter have Dale births on the next page - does Fred's b.cert give a time of birth (in case he's a twin of the soon to die George).

Marriages Dec 1903 (>99%)
Dale Walter Congleton 8a 528
Lawton Ada Congleton 8a 528

Cheshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1903
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
DALE Walter LAWTON Ada Congleton, Civil Marriage Cheshire East C/16/100

By 1903, a civil marr is most likely a rego office marr or an RC marr.

Births Jun 1908 (>99%)
Dale Fred Congleton 8a 290 CO/78/51
Dale George Congleton 8a 291 CO/78/52

Births Jun 1910 (>99%)
DALE Walter Congleton 8a 297 CO/79/94

It's unfortunate for resolution that nearly all the Dale deaths are in Congleton subdistrict.
The only Sandbach birth/deaths are for Herbert (1905q3/1906q1) and Edwin Clifford (1908q1/1908q2)

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 29 Nov 2010 07:21

Hi,
I'd say it's a good possibility that Ada (died 1905) is your missing baby, firstly because the mother's name was Ada, and secondly there's otherwise a large (for those days) gap between the year of parents marriage, 1903, and the birth of their first child, Fred in 1908. Those are the plus points anyway.
However, unless you can find Parish Records to look up baptism and burial for her, it's a risk to spend a tenner on the birth cert. Depends how badly you want to know!!!
Have you asked on Records if anyone has Parish records for the area you need?

K

mgnv

mgnv Report 29 Nov 2010 11:59

I agree with Karen - you might give the local office a call to see if they can help you get the right b.cert, though

Cheshire East
The Register Office, Park Green, Macclesfield, SK11 6TW.
Tel: 01625 423463. E-mail: [email protected]
Cheques should be made payable to Cheshire County Council. Credit cards accepted.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 29 Nov 2010 22:05

Definitely contact the Macclesfield Register office - the staff there are brilliant. Tell them the parents' names and they will check all their records for you. You won't be charged a penny if they can't find anything that fits. Give them your phone number too, they will phone you to discuss. I can't rate them highly enough, they are stars.

Janette

Janette Report 30 Nov 2010 17:13

Hi all, as I have said on my thread on the 'records office' my thanks to all of you for your help and advice looks to me the Resgisty office is the next thing to do for me which comes highly recommended :)

Thanks again :)