Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Cousins

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

cliffette

cliffette Report 29 Nov 2010 09:38

Please may i ask for suggestions as what to do next.
To complete one branch of my tree i have been trying to find two cousins, both of which i know where born, where married. I had a possible list of 12 from a G.R. member who kindly got them from the electorial register.
I sent 12 letters enclosing 1st class S.A.E's and had replies from only 3, all of course wishing me luck.
I dont have a clue where they might be now, or whether divorced etc.,
I would really appreciated any thoughts or idea's.
Thank you.

Barbara

Barbara Report 29 Nov 2010 09:42

I think if it was me, my next step would be to find a telephone number of the addresses I had not heard back from and make a quick phone call as a follow up to the letters to exclude. Then I would compile a new list of possibles from the latest electorial registers.

B

cliffette

cliffette Report 29 Nov 2010 09:59

Thank you, Barbara and Slartibartfast.
I sent the letters in September,so yes i will have a go at your suggestions.
Thank you again!

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 29 Nov 2010 18:47

Hi cliffette,
It’s very difficult as Slartibartfast says most people will think it’s a scam.
A relation recently got in touch with me via the electoral roll and I was very suspicious, fortunately I had a letter he had sent to my mother some years ago when he sent her a book which confirmed his story. So I got in touch, we had both been doing family trees which of course made me more sympathetic to his request.

I doubt you will have much luck getting phone numbers most people these days are ex-directory. I would write again, if possible perhaps mentioning a common relative, they may have simply left it so long to reply that they feel embarrassed to do so now without prompting. A new resident may also feel uncomfortable about passing on details of the last owner to a stranger, explaining that you simply want to exclude that address from 9 possibilities may get them to reply.

Happy hunting!
Mayfield

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Nov 2010 21:06

If you do decide to write again, I'd suggest that you write your address on the back of the envelope...or at least your house number and post code.

Then, if the address is out of date, the new occupants are more likely to mark it 'Not know, return to sender'.

Do enclose a SAE in the letter - if the recipient isn't your relative, they are more likely to let you know.

good luck

cliffette

cliffette Report 30 Nov 2010 18:39

Hi Mayfield and +++DetEcTive+++

Thank you for replying.
I have actually not managed to get any phone numbers, and have decided to write again after Christmas as i know people are busy at this time of year.
Thanks again.