Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unsure what to do.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Zoe

Zoe Report 30 Nov 2010 19:18

Please help i am a little confused. When looking through my families census record in 1901 i came accross a child of 5 months who was classed as a 'boarder' under relation to head. He has a different surname to my family and doesn't reappear in any other records i have. In the early 1900's would the term boarder mean foster child?? I have found his birth record but unfortunately there is no mothers maiden name.

Any suggestions please???

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 30 Nov 2010 19:50

He could possibly be a boarder and no relation to the family. Perhaps his mother was ill and your family were taking care of him while she recovered?

Caroline

Caroline Report 30 Nov 2010 20:41

I found the same in my family today.

There is a child of 5 listed as a boarder with a different surname and in the next census is still with my family and now has their surname listed.

I would be keen to learn the answer and will keep looking for information.

RStar

RStar Report 30 Nov 2010 20:56

Personally speaking I'd say he was a foster child, either placed with the family who then received money for aring for him, or he was already a member of the extended family - poss born to an unmarried mother. However, the birth record having no maiden name for the mother has thrown me. Do you mean no mother was listed at all? Or it simply looks like she was unmarried and therefore had no maiden name? If no mother was listed, the records office holds records of abandoned babies.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 30 Nov 2010 21:42

Do you have the birth certificate for the child?

Is it this which doesn't have the mothers maiden name on?

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 1 Dec 2010 04:10

Following from TootyFruity - because if all you've found is the birth index, mothers surnames weren't recorded on those until 1911.

Ozi

Zoe

Zoe Report 2 Dec 2010 13:07

Thank you all for brilliant responses. I am fairly new to tracing my family tree so am learning all the time. I will look into this a bit deeper.

Thanks again.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Dec 2010 20:48

Re Workhouse boarding out.

I have had reason to search through the Admin/Discharge books for the Sheppey Union workhouse 1901 - 1920. There were several notes that different children under 10 were boarded to Mrs XXX at the Union's expense.

So PigletsPal is right in that possibility.

A couple of mine in 1851 were noted as Nursechild as they were being fostered with neighbours. Their mother had died and their father living a street away. As the youngest was 2, I doubt if he was in need of a wet nurse.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Dec 2010 05:22

Many people get confused with the tems "wet nurse" and "nurse child".
A wet nurse was a mother who breast-fed another woman's child.
Nurse child, however, was just a foster child.
In this case, though, the child was just listed as a boarder which make me think the family were just taking care of the child on a temporary basis.