Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Submariners

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 1 Dec 2010 16:34

Hello,

Can anyone help me please? I had an uncle William Alfred Nelson born in Hull 1914. He died in 1942 on a submarine. Does anyone know how to find out the name of the submarine please?
Any help appreciated.
Linda

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 1 Dec 2010 16:59

Have you looked on the British War Graves Commission website, your relative may be listed there, if so, it should tell you the name of the submarine..
Good luck,
Liz

Cathy

Cathy Report 1 Dec 2010 17:08

This one is 1940 but seems the only likely one but I don't think it's as it looks like he died on a trawler?

Name: NELSON, WILLIAM ALFRED
Initials: W A
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Reserve (Patrol Service)
Unit Text: H.M. Trawler Lord Stamp.
Date of Death: 14/10/1940
Service No: LT/X 21019A
Additional information: Son of William Alfred and Maude Alice Nelson, of Hull; husband of Sarad Nelson, of Hull.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 2, Column 3.
Memorial: LOWESTOFT NAVAL MEMORIAL

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Dec 2010 22:02

More likely to be anti-submarine work.

LORD STAMP, trawler (R, 448t, 1935) sunk by mine, English Channel, October 14, 1940
http://www.naval-history.net/WW2BritishLossesbyName2.htm

Cathy

Cathy Report 1 Dec 2010 23:26

Found William on this site:

http://www.naval-history.net/index.htm

NELSON, William A, Seaman, RNR (PS), LT/X 21019 A, Lord Stamp, 14 October 1940, ship loss, MPK
Very sadly (missing presumed killed)

Trawlers
Admiralty and Requisitioned
LORD STAMP (R, 448t, 1935), sunk by mine,English Channel, October 14, 1940

Cathy

Cathy Report 1 Dec 2010 23:35

Sorry mgnv, just got back to the computer and done a search and came up with the same as you...... I've found info on here before, it's a really good site!

Kind regards,

Cathy

Linda

Linda Report 3 Dec 2010 15:25

Hello Everyone,

Sorry about the delay in reply but have had a bug!!!
Thank you for the information. It looks like I had the wrong info about his death as the one several people hae found is definately my uncle. He was the son of William Nelson and Maud Alice Nelson as stated.
Thank you all for your help.
Linda

Cathy

Cathy Report 3 Dec 2010 16:27

You're very welcome Linda, and hope you are fully recovered from your bug :-))

Kind regards,

Cathy