Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FMP New marriage indexing

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda G

Linda G Report 1 Dec 2010 21:19

FMP have indexed all the marriage records from 1912 to 2005 matching up all partners

This is what it says on the site

You can now search our fully indexed birth records: when you perform a search, the results will be in the form of a list of individual names, rather than just the first and last name you'll find on the image. This will save you a lot of time as you should be able to tell straight away if your ancestor appears in this list.

We have also fully indexed our marriage records. We have developed MarriageMatchTM, a highly intelligent search facility which enables you to search for both spouses at the same time. We will match up your ancestors' records, providing you with one definite marriage match, or a list of possible matches.

We are working on the fully indexed death records which will follow in early 2011.

Andy

Andy Report 2 Dec 2010 10:17

Hi Linda

What is FMP please?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Dec 2010 10:48

Isn't this the same information you can get from Free BMD already?

Joy

Joy Report 2 Dec 2010 11:07

Free BMD does not have up to 2005, as far as I am aware.

Also, find my past have put more parish records on for Middlesex and for Kent.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Dec 2010 11:55

I realize Free BMD isn't complete but otherwise you can glean the same info can't you?

Linda G

Linda G Report 2 Dec 2010 17:41

Not quite FMP has not given you choices but the actual partner after 1912

Linda

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 2 Dec 2010 18:49

FreeBMD do that from Mar 1912 and Ancestry have done it for some time..

The spouse surname was included in the Indexes from that date- I have transcribed a lot for FreeBMD so recall having to enter the 2 names into the data base

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Dec 2010 20:21

Yes, as I thought, FreeBMD gives you the partner after 1912, so at a loss why FMP gives you any more than you can already get for free.

mgnv

mgnv Report 2 Dec 2010 22:10

IGP - FreeBMD only intend to transcribe the printed indices which stop at 1983. Although you can look at images, even of the untranscribed pages via the view images link on FreeBMD's home page, these stop at 1983 when the GRO went computerized.

In addition to this non-overlapping, FMP will give you stuff with one search instead of having to click to see the spouse - a big help, I would say. Just look at how useful it is to see the spouse on Ancestry's census hit lists.

Ken's right - there are incomplete quarters thru 1949, but most are not too serious. They are:

Marriages Dec 1843 (97%) **
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1920 (2%) *******************
Marriages Dec 1920 (0%) *******************
Marriages Jun 1927 (99%) *
Marriages Mar 1928 (99%) *
Marriages Mar 1938 (98%) *
Marriages Jun 1938 (97%) **
Marriages Sep 1938 (91%) ***
Marriages Dec 1938 (70%) *******************
Marriages Jun 1940 (96%) **
Marriages Sep 1940 (98%) *
Marriages Dec 1940 (0%) *******************
Marriages Sep 1941 (96%) **
Marriages Dec 1941 (0%) *******************
Marriages Dec 1948 (8%) *******************
Marriages Dec 1949 (81%) *******************

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 3 Dec 2010 06:41

I had this email telling me about their new transcriptions, I belong to Ancestryand have a subscription for the 1911 Census on FMP. Am I right in thinking that the new search facility on FMP would not give any advantages from the one given by Ancestry.

mgnv

mgnv Report 3 Dec 2010 07:57

Lesley - I don't know. My presumption is that if I look up the marr of John Smith 1930 +/-1 I get displayed a list of marrs that give the full names of John Smith's wives.

Ancestry only gives a display of the MSs of the wives. To find their forenames, I have to click on display record, then click on find spouse. (FreeBMD takes one click per record).

Also, I presume FMP will let me search for just those John Smiths that wed an Elizabeth and display their MS. (FreeBMD will do this if I search for Elizabeth and say her spouse is John Smith.)

Incidently, if you need this info before 1912, you'll want to check if there's a local RO index online - these will also usually resolve the cases of a pair of brothers marrying a pair of sisters on the same page post 1911, as the local indices usually give an entry ref rather than a page ref for marrs. See:

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/index.php?form_action=local

Sandra

Sandra Report 3 Dec 2010 19:50

having tried this on FMP I was a bit disappointed its very hit and miss
I tried names I already knew and it didnt find all of them.......I also got 3 pages of 1860??? ....................gues its still teething!
It also seems to be same as Freebmd in sense it doent tell you exact partner still only gives you a choice of people on same page.......but is further ahead in dates than freebmd at present
sandie

Von

Von Report 3 Dec 2010 21:29

Hi
I've used the marriage records on FMP and have found it to be very useful especially for the years 1940 - 1984.
It saves going through the records year by year as you did before.
You have to view the record to view the spouse but after 1912 it gives you the spouse. Forenames as well as surname so you don't have to look up another record to find forename of spouse

mgnv you are correct in your assumptions.
Hope this helps
Von