Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Transfer of property

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Adrian

Adrian Report 3 Dec 2010 02:50

Is there dark secret in my family?
Jane Wild (b. 1850) lives with her widowed mother, Ann, in 1881. In 1891, she is still with her mother - but is also described as a widow. But now aged 41, she has a 3 year daughter, Hannah Jane. She continues to use the surname "Wild" for the rest of her life.
I can discover nothing about who is Hannah's father; there are dark stories in my own childhood of links with a wealthy family (isn't there in most families?).
However, in the early 1990's, Jane is the owner of a fair bit of property - and as her mother is still alive, and they are of poor stock, it is unlikely that the Wilds purchased it.
But if I could find out how this property got into Jane's hands, I might have a lead to who Hannah's father is.
Any advice, please?

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 3 Dec 2010 04:12

Perhaps if you purchase Hannah Jane Wilds marriage cert it may give her fathers name

jax

jax Report 3 Dec 2010 04:22

Marriages Mar 1911 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kindon Albert Oldham 8d 847
Wild Hannah J Oldham 8d 847

jax

jax Report 3 Dec 2010 04:27

1911 census - household transcription
Person: KINDON, Hannah Jane
Address: 22 Byron Street Hollinwood Oldham

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KINDON, Albert Head Married M 26 1885 Cotton Spinner Minder Lancashire Oldham VIEW
KINDON, Hannah Jane Wife Married F 23 1888 Lancashire Middleton June VIEW

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Dec 2010 05:31

or buy Hannah Jane's birth certificate

Births Jun 1887 (>99%)

Wild Hannah Jane Oldham 8d 730

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Dec 2010 05:44

from Lancs bmd

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1887
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference

WILD Hannah Jane Chadderton Oldham WILD CHAD/56/133

Looks as though Hannah Jane was illegitimate

..... and your chance of finding the name of her father is pretty slim UNLESS you happen to find a family bible with the name written in it, OR you can find out where she was baptized, get a look at the actual parish register and the vicar just happened to make a note in the margin as to the name of the father!

sylvia

Perchino

Perchino Report 3 Dec 2010 06:02

Hi Adrian,
Do you know if any of the properties still exist? Try a search on say two of them on this website:-
https://wwwlandregistry.gov.uk
Obtaining copies of Title Deeds cost £5 and deeds can give name of previous owner. Two previous male owners of the same name may give a clue for Hannah's father.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Dec 2010 06:06

You can do this search, and see if you find anyhting!!!

That record on Lancs bmd says she was registered in Chadderton.

SOME records from two churches in Chadderton are on fmaily search ........ but they have to be searched name by name .... there is NO index. I am not sure what the records cover.

Go to

beta.familysearch.org/s/collection/list#page=1®ion=EUROPE

scroll down to
England, Lancashire – Cheshire – Yorkshire Parish Registers, 1603-1992

Click on that

Click on Browse xxxx under View Images in This Collection

Then click on Lancashire

Then click on one of the two Chadderton records

sylvia

Adrian

Adrian Report 3 Dec 2010 08:50

Of course! Obvious answers!

Thank you all. As you can tell, I am new at this game. Clearly I was concentrating in the romanticism and mystery and not thinking clearly.

In my defence, we have a plethora of original family documents ( birth and marriage certs, etc) from the mid and early C19 - but this is a black hole.

Only yesterday, I tried to quiz the slightly befuddled daughter of Hannah Jane Wild / Kindon (my mother). She said, "I don't think I e er knew who my grandfather was; it was all behind closed doors. You had to be, you know..." (and she sat rigidly upright in her chair).

Thanks again.

Adrian

Potty

Potty Report 3 Dec 2010 11:50

Just checked on Lancashire opc site - there are 27 churches listed for Chadderton! Might be worth contacting them to see if they have access to all the records - only one church is showing on the site - St Matthews and the baptisms there only go up to 1875.

Adrian

Adrian Report 3 Dec 2010 18:50

Can I thank you all for your input?

It has given me a lot to go on and a fresh view of this whole process.

Happy hunting!

(Canon) Adrian M. Rhodes

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 3 Dec 2010 21:32

this is the marriage reg from lancs bmd.

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1911
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
WILD Hannah J KINDON Albert Oldham Register Office or Registrar Attended Oldham APAC1/22

So it looks like the marriage was a civil one or a non-CofE - just to narrow the church search down a bit!

Adrian

Adrian Report 3 Dec 2010 23:06

Thanks, LancashireAnn.

I've ordered the marriage cert so I guess I'll find out in a week or so.

A