Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

2010 MARRIAGES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 3 Dec 2010 10:31

Please could anyone tell me how to find weddings registered this year?
Many thanks

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 3 Dec 2010 10:52

possibly if there was an announcement in the local paper

Susan

Susan Report 3 Dec 2010 10:54

thanks Lindsey - but if not no other way to look up?

Flick

Flick Report 3 Dec 2010 11:22

The register office in the town where the marriage occurred.........but I doubt they would tell you, as privacy laws would probably apply.

Susan

Susan Report 3 Dec 2010 11:25

thanks Flick

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Dec 2010 14:22

The Local Register Office does not provide a look-up service. Irrespective of the date, you have to provide details of the event, and they look for a cert based on that information.

As far as I know there are no privacy laws relevant to the issue of certificates in this country as the information is already in the public domain.

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 3 Dec 2010 15:43

It's worth noting that the legislation changed a few years ago to prevent marriage information being released into the public domain so that GRO references for marriages are not given post 2005.

Depending on the area, some local BMD websites have more up to date information going beyond 2005. I know that the GRO does not let you order certificates for events less than 50 years ago unless you have very specific information, so for marriages - names of both parties, date and place. This is to help prevent identity theft etc. I am unsure as to whether Local Registry Offices also require the same amount of detail to release certificates for events of the last 50 years.

Thelma

Thelma Report 3 Dec 2010 16:20

Welcome to the General Register Office for England and Wales online ordering service

The General Register Office holds a central copy of all registrations for England and Wales. Local Register Offices also hold records of events registered in their area.

For recent events registered within the last 6 months (for marriages this period is extended to 18 months), applications for certificates should be made to the Register Office in the district where the birth, death or marriage took place.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The 2005 cutoff was introduced because of the Dove project, which failed.
I think that libraries have more up to date records.

Susan

Susan Report 3 Dec 2010 16:36

Many thanks InspectorGreenPen, Alexandra and SatNav - will give the library a try tomorrow
Kind regards
Sue