Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LDS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mgtjwl

Mgtjwl Report 4 Dec 2010 15:15

Hi All
If I order Birth or marriage info ,from before 1834 from LDS, what info would I get, thank you

Mgtjwl

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 4 Dec 2010 15:26

By ordering birth or marriage info do you mean order parish records or similar on fische or film?

You can order at your local LDS centre { they are all over the world} ,many in the uk, records on fische or film, depending on how they`ve been stored that you can then view at your local LDS centre, the centre keeps them for 3 months and cost is anything up to about £10.00. To find out what they hold you need to go to Library catalogue on their site and put in details of the records you require.

They do not hold records for every Parish, and some Counties are better covered than others.

Birth and marriage records prior to 1837 have limited information...on a marriage from parish registers you will get date, names, place and 2 witnesses names and if the bride and groom were Of this parish or not., and wether they were batchelor/spinster/widow/widower.

A baptism record will have the child name, fathers name, most include the mothers and occasionally mothers maiden name....you may get the street where they lived and fathers occupation, sometimes the childs date of birth is recorded as well, it relly depended from area to area on how much information the minister recorded.

Nicky

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Dec 2010 15:28

have you found what you are looking for on the LDS site?

Mgtjwl

Mgtjwl Report 4 Dec 2010 15:41

Thank you Nicky
Yes Ann ,I wonderd If it would be worth while my going to local LDS But it may well be waste of time thank you both
Mgtjwl