Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newly Transcribed Manchester 1851 Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Norma

Norma Report 7 Dec 2010 21:44

Hi
Has anybody looked at the 1851 census that Ancestry has digitally enhanced from water damaged census records.
When Findmypast had their free acess during England games in The World Cup I found my 2x Great Grandfather and his family it gave his address occupation.Whenii just checked on the ones Ancestry had done none of this information was on their transcribed records.
i do not think that Ancestry are as good as findmypast for their Census Records.
For a different branch of my family i also found a record in the 1841 census which has never been located on Ancestry.
if I had found this 1841 censu earlier I would never have sent for a death certificate which of course was the wrong one as my ancestor was still alive in 1841.
Has anybody else had the same experience with records

Best wishes
Norma

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Dec 2010 01:32

It happens all the time!

Ancestry and findmypast do their own individual transcribing, and therefore mistakes can be made as it is humans trying to read old handwriting.

You will find differences between them on all censuses ....... not of course for everyone,

but there are mistranscriptions on one that are not on the other.

That is why, if you do not find a record on one but it is on the other .......... look for mistranscription, mis-spelling

......... never automatically assume that the record is not there!

I bet you anything that your ancestor is on the ancestry record ................ but you just have to discover HOW it is written.

Regarding the 1851 Census

In fact ................... the first place I found my gt grandfather on the 1851 Census was on the Manchester FHS site ........ they actually are the ones who first did the transcribing of the damaged records

From www.1851-unfilmed.org.uk/intro.htm

............... In 1991 Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society secured the agreement of the (then) Public Record Office to access the damaged returns and transcribe such information as might still be legible. This was the start of a 14 year project which concluded in 2005 with the publication of the final transcripts. Despite the damage, details of some 82% of the 217,717 persons whom the statisticians had counted had been recovered.

The first recrd of Benjamin was found by someone in GR for me in about 2004. There was no street address on that

Then I found the above site myself about 2 years ago, and there was the street address

and what is on ancestry is more or less the same information

However, ancestry digitally enhanced, and M&LFHS did it manually.

So on ancestry you see the census image, but onM&LFHS you see the transcribed record.

sylvia

mgnv

mgnv Report 8 Dec 2010 04:58

An observation.

I looked up my ex's g grandad -

FMP gives the census ref as:
RG number: HO107; Piece: 2230; Folio: 0; Page: 0

Ancestry gives the census ref as
Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2230; Folio: ; Page: 46; GSU roll: .

There actually is no folio # stamped on these pages - too fragile, I suppose.
(Nor is there a PRO copyright slip in the margin with ho107/2230 stamped on it)

Consequently, one can't look up this page by census ref on FMP.

Ancestry doesn't insist on a full census ref for its search, so an old style search of ho107/2230/ /46 gets 408 hits - there must be over 20 page 46's in this piece.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Incidently, if you do have rellies in the area back then, also check out the OPR images at:
https://beta.familysearch.org/s/collection/list#page=1®ion=EUROPE

for - England, Lancashire – Cheshire – Yorkshire Parish Registers, 1603-1992

jax

jax Report 8 Dec 2010 05:49

I have found with Ancestry if you find something wrong they will change it

With FMP I found ex husbands grandmother on 1911 image but not on transcription...I told them they said they would amend, but 6 months later she cannot be seen unless you view the image so if you have Genes 1911 I would assume she would never be found??

I think they are both as bad as each other really with transcriptions, and think they should use people familiar with the areas to transcribe as some of the place names are laughable really

jax

Norma

Norma Report 8 Dec 2010 08:49

Hi Jax
I think i agree with you about suing people familiar with the area as even with family names it is obvious to you that this is the correct name as you recognise it instantly but people who are not familiar with the spelling can come up with al sorts of alternatives.
One of my family names is Pickavance and i I found them under Pickervance Picherance Picvance.
also with earlier censuses and ordinary folk not being able to read and write the enumerator came up with how he thought a name was spelt.
good fun but at least with experience you learn to check the alternatives.
Best wishes
Norma

mgnv

mgnv Report 8 Dec 2010 23:26

I've just been checking Ancestry 1861 with pob=Mexico.
Today's weather forecast for the outer coast is in the low 100s (mm of rain, that is)
and I quite fancied the idea of doing a spot of genealogical research down in Mexico whilst visiting the pyramids of Pimlico and lazing on the golden sands of Shoreditch.

jax - you're a real killjoy. Am I to infer I might have stumbled across some mistranscriptions?

Oh well, maybe I'll visit Sarah's birthplace instead:

1861 England Census
Name Parent or spouse names Birth Year Birthplace Relation Residence View Image
Sarah Blackbane abt 1795 Deap & Blind Sdiot Head Norwich St Peter Per Mountgate, Norfolk

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%5

In general, FMP has more accurate transcriptions than Ancestry.

Ancestry doesn't transcribe occup or addresses for England/Wales.
However, they do for other censuses - if you want to know why pigs have curly tails, check out this guy's occup:

1891 Scotland Census
Name Parent or spouse names Estimated birth year Birthplace Relation Civil Parish County
William Vagan Margret abt 1864 Dundee, Forfarshire Head Liff and Benvie

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Dec 2010 00:42

I quite liked the ones who were born in Somalia on, I think, the 1851 or 1861 Census

some bright spark transcriber saw Som with superscript t, and decided it was Soml, which they then decided meant Somalia

Som+t = Somerset

threw me off for quite some time that one did!

mgnv

.... I agree that ancestry doesn't transcribe addresses or occupations .... you have to look at the census image

BUT that allows you to double check everything else on the image

I much prefer doing that to taking some unknown transcriber's word for what is on there!

sylvia