Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption, early 1900s

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Geoff

Geoff Report 9 Dec 2010 00:21

I have reason to believe that two relations were adopted, either officially or unofficially in c1910 in Birmingham when their birth mother emigrated to USA leaving them behind. These boys would have been aged c15 and 16. Is there any way of finding this out, I really have no idea where to start looking. If it was the case that other members of the family took over the rearing of these two, I doubt if there would be any record would there?

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be really grateful

Thanks,

Geoff

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Dec 2010 03:42

Official records of adoptions were not kept until around 1927.

Most adoptions before then were unofficial, by relations, neighbours, friends or strangers.

Even orphanages did not necessarily keep records.

Anyway ........boys of the age of 15 or 16 would not be considered "children" at that time period.

School leaving age then was 12 ........ as long as the child had completed a certain number of hours of school attendance. I have the certificates for both my parents issued in 1914 / 1915 that allowed them to leave school and seek work.

So a boy of 15 would actually have been working for at least 2 years

Have you looked for them on the 1901 and 1911 censuses to see what they are doing, or where they are living?

sylvia

Geoff

Geoff Report 9 Dec 2010 09:16

Thanks for that info Sylvia. I suspected there was not much or no record-keeping for adoptions back then. I have found them in 1901 census aged c6 and 7 by which time their birth name of Hill had changed to Ingram, their stepfather's name. Their natural father died in 1895 and their mother remarried in 1896, had two more children so all four children are named Ingram in 1901. In 1910 the mother took her two youngest children to join their father in US. As you say the other two being teenagers would probably be working and therefore 'settled' and may not have wanted to emigrate so stayed in England. I guess I'd better try to find them in 1911.

Geoff

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Dec 2010 19:20

Good luck

remember in those days a lot of workers "lived in" ........ drapery stores etc all often had dormitory sorts of accommodation for their unmarried workers.

sylvia

Angela

Angela Report 9 Dec 2010 21:21

Where were they born and what were there names ?

Marcia

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 9 Dec 2010 22:09

When official adoptions started in 1927 any person could be adopted up untill the age of 21 as that was the 'coming of age'.

I've got that written down somewhere but it would take some finding :-)

Cheers Gerry

Geoff

Geoff Report 9 Dec 2010 23:06

Hello Marcia,

Their birth names were William Hill, born c1894 presumably in Aston, Birmingham (Aged 7 in 1901 census) and Leonard Hill, born c1895 also in Aston (Aged 6 in 1901 census). Their father was Samuel Hill (c 1868-1895) and their mother Florence Elizabeth Hill, nee Maddox (1871-1947). However by the 1901 census they had adopted the surname Ingram, Florence having married Henry/Harry Ingram in 1896 after Samuel Hill died.
Not the easiest of names to trace I realise and only one forename as far as I know. If you need any more info, please ask.

Thanks,

geoff

Angela

Angela Report 9 Dec 2010 23:24

On the 1901 census the boys grandparents are living at 188 Witton lane, Aston Manor. Thomas Maddox aged 50 a gun stocker and his wife Emma aged 50. They had 2 sons at home who would be the boys uncles, Thomas 24 and Willam 19. These are their mothers brothers so they would not be alone.
Also on the 1901 census and also living in Aston are their other grandmother Rachel now widowed and their uncle Henry 38.
On the 1911 census Rachel is 71 but the boys are not with her.
On the 1911 census Thomas Maddox and Emma are still alive and living at 25 Oscott Road, Aston but again the boys are not with their grandparents
Marcia

Geoff

Geoff Report 9 Dec 2010 23:41

Thanks Marcia,

I know about Thomas and Emma Maddox (they are my great-grandparents) and sons Thomas and William but have not come across Rachel and Henry. Would they be Hills or Ingrams?
It would seem that by 1911 the boys (now 16 and 17) have left home and , as someone else pointed out, would probably have left school/working/supporting themselves somehow. I had hoped they might have been living with some other members of the Ingram family or even the Hill family but I suppose they will be very difficult to trace. They could have moved anywhere in the country or even overseas. Or is it possible to do a general trace for William Ingram/Leonard Ingram in the 1911 census?

Geoff

Angela

Angela Report 10 Dec 2010 00:35

Hi Geoff

I have tried several combinations on the 1911 census and also looked in Institutions as well but they are not showing up.

Samuels age at death in Dec 1895 was given as 27 so he would be born 1868/69.
On the 1891 census when he is married to Florence Elizabeth Samuel says he is aged 22, so again 1868/69. He says he was born in Birmingham whereas Florence is more specific and says Aston.
1871 census Saml Hill aged 2. father Henry mother Rachel
1871 census Samuel aged 2 father James mother Caroline
I checked both families out on the 1911 and no sign of Leonard and William with them
Marcia

Geoff

Geoff Report 10 Dec 2010 08:28

Hello Marcia,

Thanks for checking this out. I'm a bit confused by the 2 different Samuels aged 2. is the one with father James mother Caroline related or just another possibility? I'm also unsure how census searches work. If you put in a nationwide search for, say, Leonard Ingram, born c1895 in Aston/Birmingham should that bring up any possible matches anywhere in the country assuming he didn't avoid being included for some reason? I suppose some people did manage to fall under the radar. One interesting point is that someone on this board managed to find Florence Ingram's husband Henry for me in 1901 census. He was a patient in Llandudno of all places in a private address (ie not a hospital or rest-home) with other men from Birmingham. They were all in the gun trade so I can only assume they were recovering from industrial injuries. What puzzles me is why were they sent so far from home?

Geoff

Angela

Angela Report 10 Dec 2010 12:10

When I looked at the family trees on Ancestry another family had claimed Henry and Rachel and that Samuel (if they are correct) lived a long life in England so on that basis this couple is discounted.

So James and Caroline are looking more likely. Caroline's maiden name was Mathews.

It would not be unusual to go to Llandudno to convalesce - not that far from Birmingham.

Yes - you can put in any combination for a search but these two brothers are not showing up under anything on the 1911 UK census

Marcia

Geoff

Geoff Report 10 Dec 2010 13:44

Marcia,

Oh dear, I'm now running out of ideas. I suppose they could have emigrated themselves although I would have thought there must have been an age restriction on anyone leaving the country. And of course they could have gone anywhere, Canada, Australia and changed their names. maybe joined the navy? or become some other kind of sailor?

Can't think of much else.

Geoff