Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

now you see them, now you dont!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

rosalie

rosalie Report 10 Dec 2010 18:18

hi, could anyone tell me why a family can be found on some censuses then disappear on the 1901 then back visible on the 1911? if its that they may have left the uk for a few years then came back-where do i begin to search for them on their disappearance?

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 10 Dec 2010 18:25

It could be that they have been mistranscribed.

If you post the details you have for them someone else may be able to find them.

Christine

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 10 Dec 2010 19:25

Depending on the occupation of the head the family may have moved to Wales or Scotland so always worth checking there as well

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Dec 2010 19:56

Following on from Glitter.
Two families on the Cornish side of my tree moved to Barrow in Furness for a generation, because the tin mines closed in Cornwall, and copper mines opened in Barrow.
When they moved back to Cornwall, it was the (now adult) children who moved back first, and joined the navy. Their parents followed later. Some of the adult children stayed in Barrow.

The railway led to easier travelling/moving around the country.

Von

Von Report 10 Dec 2010 19:56

Hi
I don't know which years you are looking at but there are a lot of areas missing from the 1861 census.
Good Luck with the search
Von

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 11 Dec 2010 09:29

If you post the details, perhaps someone will help look for them?

Good luck :)

Caroline

Caroline Report 11 Dec 2010 10:48

I had this a while ago, I found my family on the 1881 census and 1901 but not 1891.
Managed to find out that they had gone to Canada, they had 2 children whilst there, as well as the death of another child, following this they returned to England.
I already had a starting point, as on their return in the 1901 census they were living near a port in a different part of the country that they did previously.

So it is worth checking censuses for other countries and passenger lists.

Potty

Potty Report 11 Dec 2010 11:55

Try searching for them without using their last name. If there is a young child who should be on the next or last census to one you have found them on, use the first name, DOB and POB and the parents first names.

I once found a family who appeared on one census with one surname, on the next 3 with a completely differenct name even though their children were being registered with the original name. The wife then appeared on the next census as a widow and under the original name - no idea why!

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 11 Dec 2010 12:00

My Scottish ancestors sometimes appear in their maiden names even when they are married or widowed.

I've one family who disappear of the 1841 census I think but when you check the next census their daughter was born in Ireland around that time so they seemed to have lived there for a while.

some just seem to disappear, perhaps they were missed.

Eddieisagrandad

Eddieisagrandad Report 11 Dec 2010 15:13

Some people intentionally "disappeared" and were not counted or have used alias's.
I have not been counted on all of the census's during my lifetime and I'm sure not every body here has been counted every time either. People have always had their reasons for disappearing.

rosalie

rosalie Report 11 Dec 2010 17:30

this has been an eye opener!ha ha thank you all.
this is the family.
jarvis cook b 1868 salcombe, devon--shipright
wife mary lucy phillips b sheerness 1874
dau may cook b 1896 bow, london
dau florence kate cook b 1908 devonport, plymouth

as i remember i believe i couldn`t get them on either the 1891 or the 1901 but got them back again on the 1911.
hope someone out there spots where on earth it was they vanished to!

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 11 Dec 2010 17:56

This is the marriage, so they would be apart in 1891:

England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1915
about Jarvis Cook Name: Jarvis Cook
Year of Registration: 1894
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Bideford
County: Devon
Volume: 5b
Page: 987 (click to see others on page)

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 11 Dec 2010 17:58

COOK, Jarvis Head Married
15 years M 43 1868 Shipwright Salcombe Devon VIEW
COOK, Mary Lucy Wife Married
15 years F 37 1874 Sheerness VIEW
COOK, May Daughter Single F 15 1896 Tailoress Bow London VIEW
COOK, Florence Kate Daughter F 3 1908 Devonport VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
RG14 Piece:
13041 Reference:
RG14PN13041 RG78PN752 RD278 SD2 ED14 SN413

Registration District:
Devonport Sub District:
Stoke Enumeration District:
14 Parish:
Devonport

Address:
14 Pellew Place Devonport County:
Devonshire

Odd that May is born in London.

rosalie

rosalie Report 11 Dec 2010 18:13

hi madmeg thanks for the look up -that last one is the one i got-its the 1901 census then that i cant find them

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 11 Dec 2010 18:17

Yeah, I twigged that, but putting the full details lets people have the full info, especially as not everyone has access to the 1911.

Not coming up with anything for 1901, tried various spellings of Jarvis (I've got a Jarvis in my own tree - Gervis, Jervis, Gervaise, etc.)

jax

jax Report 11 Dec 2010 18:22

Madmeg

You are just duplicating what has been found on rosalie's thread on surnames as mentioned by colin above

I think roslie should know by now that we do not take kindly to duplicating info

jax

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 11 Dec 2010 18:44

Thanks Jax, I missed Colin's point.

Rosalie, what is the point of two threads generating repeated work?

rosalie

rosalie Report 11 Dec 2010 18:49

just havent quite got the hang of threads yet sorry folks

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 15 Dec 2010 01:57

Don't worry Rosalie. But do take notice of advice.

Love
Madmeg