Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Changing a tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Adrian

Adrian Report 11 Dec 2010 14:44

Hi playmates,

I've just discovered that my grandmother was brought up by her aunt, as substitute mother, as her own mother had died in childbirth. I now need to change that part of the tree.

Looking at the FAQ, it seems I have to delete everyone upwards or downwards from that 'mother-child' link. Aaaaaagggghhhhh!

Advice please. Is there a get-around that anyone has found - or does anyone have any tips about how to lose least information - or store/record it?

Thanks.

Adrian

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Dec 2010 14:56

But it doesnt alter who her mum was, You could add in the notes of grandmother that shes was brought up by auntie, and also add in the notes for auntie that she brought up the little girl after her mum died

Thelma

Thelma Report 11 Dec 2010 16:09

Each alteration has its own solution.
Are the mother and aunt sisters? If they are then you can edit their details to make the tree correct.
That is change the mother's details to the aunt and vice versa.

Adrian

Adrian Report 12 Dec 2010 01:40

Flippin' ek!

What simple, clever ideas!

Thank you both.

Adrian

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 12 Dec 2010 08:18

If the aunt was married and you have added his name.If you edit her details you will then have your grandmothers mother married to her sisters husband.

You would need to delete any children of the aunt and then delete the husband. Adding him back to the correct wife and adding back the childrens names

Adrian

Adrian Report 12 Dec 2010 13:08

Thanks quinsgran.

Tricky, ain't it?

Software needs some tweaking I reckon.

Adrian

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Dec 2010 14:04

Commercial software allows you to disconnect entire branches, twigs or individuals and to re-create new relationships back to other parts of your tree.

Unfortunately to do this is not a tweak, and would a major upgrade for GR. A similar argument prevails regarding the creation of multiple relationship links, such as where cousins marry. For something that is provided free I can't see it being developed as it simply isn't commercially viable.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Dec 2010 14:07

Personally I would leave her with her parents and make the notes as Auntie is her adopted or foster mum not her biological mum

slytherin

slytherin Report 3 Jan 2011 14:57

hi i have had the same problem, with putting an individual wrongly and had to delete and put back in, in the righjt slot, it took abit of time as i had to delete some people just to fiit this person back in

Laurie

Laurie Report 3 Jan 2011 15:03

>Looking at the FAQ, it seems I have to delete everyone upwards or
> downwards from that 'mother-child' link.

Alternatively, you could download a gedcom (from MY ACCOUNT), edit it appropriately offline (in Legacy maybe?) and then reupload it ?