Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Great x 3 grandparents Robert and Bridget

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angelsong

Angelsong Report 11 Dec 2010 16:12

My great x 3 grandparents, Robert Waghorn 1781 and his wife Bridget Painter have been difficult to track down. I joined a...... y uk for a short period recently, and was delighted to find their marriage.

One of my GR contacts who is also a descendant of Robert and Bridget has raised the query that as they were both born in Chatham, Kent, it seems odd that they married at St George's, Hanover Square, Westminster. I had not thought of that, but I do not expect there are too many Robert Waghorns marrying a Bridget Painter.

Has anyone any suggestions, please.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 11 Dec 2010 16:34

Perhaps they were working there.

The writing is lovely on that record isn't it, do you know the witnesses, Wm Bridges and Martha Bridges?

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 11 Dec 2010 16:39

The 1841 does not give birth place only if born in county or not and Kent is a big county

Angelsong

Angelsong Report 11 Dec 2010 18:19

Thank you for your replies RutlandBelle. I wondered if Bridget was working in Westminster at the time of her marriage. Yes, I did see the names of the witnesses.

It is fascinating looking at old records, though these are the Bishops Records, I understand. I spent weeks trawling through churches on City Ark for this marriage, looking at old records.