Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army papers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 12 Dec 2010 14:08

If any of you have seen my previous threads you will know im having terrible trouble finding info on my gt grandfather John Joseph Lewis. He is only on 1901 & 1911 census and claims born Wolverhampton & army papers he claims born Coventry. His father Joseph Lewis occupation blacksmith living Jamaica Row Birmingham and thats it for info on him.No birth record for him in Coventry or Wolverhampton.
His 2nd army paper states distinctive marks tatto of sailor & flag right forearm badge of 17th L-----s on right wrist and American National Union on chest. Would this indicate he was in merchant navy before he joined staffordshire regiment? Also im puzzled as to why a tattoo if American flag on chest?? Has any one come across anything like this before??

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 12 Dec 2010 16:21

Yes it does. Someone said the badge could have been 17th Lancers and he would have joined between 1886 & 1903.

Shazzlou

Shazzlou Report 12 Dec 2010 18:00

JUst wondered if someone on find my past could take a look ans see if his army papers are there on 17th Lancers? I wouls do it myself but im not a member!