Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Fowler, DVRA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

alviegal

alviegal Report 12 Dec 2010 21:33

Hi everyone,

I've found the probate records for an ancestor of mine and it states that he was a retired major in the 2nd D.V.R.A.
He lived in Devonport, Devon and had been in the RN when younger as an engineer.
I have all the records for him but could someone please enlighten me as to what D.V.R.A is an acronym for?
I have googled to no effect and my best guess is Devon Volunteer but have no guesses for R.A. Any ideas?

Liz

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 12 Dec 2010 21:50

Not sure on the regiment but as he was a Major, his appointments should be listed in the London Gazette which is searchable online.

alviegal

alviegal Report 12 Dec 2010 21:51

Thanks for the suggestion. Will try that now.

Fiona aka Ruby

Fiona aka Ruby Report 12 Dec 2010 22:38

Could the RA stand for Royal Artillery?

alviegal

alviegal Report 13 Dec 2010 20:28

Thanks for the suggestion Fiona aka Ruby. I really have no idea but it could very well be.
Tried the London Gazette but sadly nothing on it for William.
Thanks again.

Liz

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 13 Dec 2010 20:45

He IS in the London Gazette - it's v difficult to search! The regiment is 2nd Devonshire( Western Division Royal Artillery). There's a mention in the issue of May 5 1891 about him resigning his commission. There might be more mentions on other dates for his commission and promotions. To search, put W Fowler into the "with the exact phrase" box.

alviegal

alviegal Report 13 Dec 2010 21:06

Finally found it Ann, thank you so much. I couldn't see that at all when I looked!
And thank you too Fiona, you were right about the Royal Artillery.
You're both brilliant.