Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birmingham Warehouseman ??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Enid

Enid Report 13 Dec 2010 16:00

1861 Census RG9 /791/96/11 has an ancestor, George Hartley (b.1817), working as a Birmingham Warehouseman. What was he doing - living off the High Rd, Hornsey, Middlesex it's nothing simple!
His wife's uncle, in the same household, was a wharfinger. His neighbours had nothing related to docks - gentleman to chimney sweep - so no clue there.
I've been hunting for several years for this one and just had blank looks! so maybe a miracle can happen

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Dec 2010 16:04

where was George born then?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 13 Dec 2010 16:16

There's a thread about Birmingham warehouseman here on Rootschat:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,101260.msg433792.html

AGG, he was born Shoreditch, Middlesex.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 13 Dec 2010 16:20

On his marriage record he's simply a warehouseman. Incidentally, I see his wife was also a Hartley.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 13 Dec 2010 16:23

on the 1851 his occupation is Birmingham Agent
they had a servant so must have had a reasonably well paid job

Astra

Astra Report 13 Dec 2010 16:24

In 1851 he is a Birmingham Agent and in 1881 a merchant

Enid

Enid Report 13 Dec 2010 20:19

Yes, and his wife's uncle had the improbable name of Fountain Hartley (b.1798, Finsbury), which appears to be a family name as there are several of them. And yes, I suspect they were solidly middle-class and one son, Charles R married a daughter of Edward Lloyd the Newspaper man (and Lloyd's List).
I'll follow the RootsChat link, thank you, as I could have understood Manchester as haberdashery etc but B'ham!!?