Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

birth certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 15 Dec 2010 12:44

If I send for a birth certificate 1906 will it show the mother's maiden name?

Thelma

Thelma Report 15 Dec 2010 12:51

Any birth cert from any year will show the mother's maiden name.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 15 Dec 2010 13:47

SatNav - Thanks - just didn't want to spend the money fruitlessly ! but it seems to be the best clue to working back.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 15 Dec 2010 16:08

If you find the family on the 1911 census this will say how many years the parents have been married (assuming that the family are together). You could then look for the parents marriage on freebmd and so get the mothers maiden name.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 15 Dec 2010 17:23

TootyFruity - thanks but this has been my problem! I have just been involved in a separate thread trying to track down a marriage for that very reason, having got the 1911 census page, got a lot of helpful suggestions but which were alas all false trails. In the course of this chat someone suggested the son's birth certificate (I already have the registration reference) which is the next chance of finding the female line further back.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 15 Dec 2010 17:32

Well, there's your answer. Order the cert....!

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 15 Dec 2010 19:36

Just to advise - it is a sensible idea to get the birth cert of your direct relative even if you think you have found them on the census, and identified the marriage of their parents. You might be suprised to find he or she wasn't their child at all, but the child of a parent's sibling or even the child of one you thought was his own sibling.