Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Keyboard Problem

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sliwowski

Sliwowski Report 19 Dec 2010 09:55

Hi All,

I have an ancestor who had an accent (') over a letter of his surname. How on earth do I type an accent over a letter S on an English keyboard?

Any ideas appreciated!

Karen

Persephone

Persephone Report 19 Dec 2010 10:06

I tried putting them on here but for some reason GR will not transfer them onto the thread.

I can type either in upper or lower case with a ' over the s in the reply box but once submitted the accent disappears.

I will give it a go on my tree and let you know how I get on.

Persey

Persephone

Persephone Report 19 Dec 2010 10:11

Yep my mum now has a new surname, she probably always wanted an accent over one of her esses.

So pull up and open a word document, go along to where it says insert on the tool bar go down to insert symbol. Scroll down through alphabet etc till you get to the letters with accents over them choose the one you want insert it on to document and then copy it from your document to your person in your tree.

Perse

Sliwowski

Sliwowski Report 19 Dec 2010 10:13

I'm not so worried about the tree, but I'd like to Google the surname to see what comes up and without the accent I can't seem to access pages recommended to me.

Sliwowski

Sliwowski Report 19 Dec 2010 10:15

Ok, Perse. I'll give it a try. Thank you for the suggestion!

Karen

Persephone

Persephone Report 19 Dec 2010 10:18

Fascinating, I just copied s with an accent onto google ok... came up with Polish pronunciations and others.

Hope you find who you want?

Persey

Sliwowski

Sliwowski Report 19 Dec 2010 14:48

Thank you. Worked a treat!