Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing a Scottish Company

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah Lee

Sarah Lee Report 19 Dec 2010 21:01

I have found the following advertisement in a 1908 New Zealand newspaper:

"Mason - Wanted, information regarding Representatives of the following children of the late David Mason, formerly of Alloa, Scotland, who are known to have emigrated to New Zealand about fifty years ago, viz - David, Robert, James, Mary, Andrew Moffat Wellwood, Henry, Charles Adam, Janet. Apply Steele and Forrest, E.A., 190, West George-street, Glasgow, Scotland"

The Janet Mason mentioned is my husband's Great Grandmother. I would love to find out who Steel and Forrest are, and why they were trying to contact the NZ Masons. Is anyone able to offer me any advice???

Many thanks
Sarah

Cathy

Cathy Report 19 Dec 2010 21:17

Does the E.A. stand for estate agents perhaps?

Sarah Lee

Sarah Lee Report 19 Dec 2010 21:37

Hi Cathy

Thanks for getting back to me. I am not too sure of the connection - Janet's brother was Andrew Moffat Wellwood Mason who was born in Alloa, Clackmannanshire in 1842 to parents David Mason and Mary Ann Erskine Sinclair. With such an unusual name perhaps there is a connection, or David Mason just decided to name his son after Andrew Moffat Wellwood for some reason that we may never know????

EA = estate agent?? Perhaps, I am not sure. I did wonder if the 'A' was for accountant???

Sarah

Cathy

Cathy Report 19 Dec 2010 21:45

Name: Andrew W M Mason
Estimated birth year: abt 1842
Relationship: Son
Father's name: David Mason
Mother's name: Mary A Mason
Where born: N Queensferry, Fifeshire
Parish Number: 359
Civil Parish: Alloa
Town: Alloa
County: Clackmannanshire
Address: 14 Forthstreet
ED: 7
Page: 29 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 113
Line: 8
Roll: CSSCT1851_75
Household Members: Name Age
David Mason 46
Mary A Mason 46
James Mason 16
Mary Mason 14
William M Mason 12
Andrew W M Mason 9
Henry Mason 7
Charles Mason 4
Janet Mason 2

Sarah Lee

Sarah Lee Report 19 Dec 2010 21:54

Hi Cathy
Yes, that is the family in the 1851 census. David and Mary Ann both died shortly after this, and all but one of their children left for New Zealand. Only the eldest son, John, remained in Scotland. Both John and his wife died in Glasgow in the 1890s, so I thought that the newspaper article in 1908 was too late to be in relation to their estate.

Sarah

Cathy

Cathy Report 19 Dec 2010 22:09

RE: 190 West George Street, Glasgow, Scotland

It's a lovely Penthouse appartment now and it's on the visit scotland website.....I wonder if it would be worth contacting them to see if they could tell you anything of it's history?

Contact
190 West George Street
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
G2 2NR
Great Britain

Further contact details ...

Tel: +44 (0)7960185115
E-Mail: [email protected]
WWW: http://www.glasgowpenthouses.com

Sarah Lee

Sarah Lee Report 20 Dec 2010 01:11

Good idea Cathy. I will contact them to see if they know any details. Thank you so much for all your help.