Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Name after adoption

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alyson

Alyson Report 21 Dec 2010 10:28

Hello all, this is my first post so forgive me if it's i the wrong place. My father married a woman back in 1947 who already had a son, and as far as I know, my father adopted him. In searching the records will he have his birth name or my father's name?
Thankyou.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Dec 2010 11:23

He will have an original birth cert but you may not be able to get a full cert only a short version.

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 21 Dec 2010 18:28

Hi Alyson,
I would try both names, as you will soon be able to work out if it is the right person. On some sites I have found female relations under their married name as oposed to their maiden name.
If you wanted to order birth certs then the register office records should show him under both names and I believe if you ordered a cert in his adoptive name then it would be shown as adoption on the cert.

Hopefully someone else should be able to help you more.

Cheryl

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 22 Dec 2010 03:32

The son will be registered in the live birth register in his original birth name. Have you checked your father's marriage cert to get the name of his bride as it's possible the child is registered in that name.

If your father legally adopted the child he will then be placed on the Adopted Children Register (after the adoption order is granted in the court) He will be listed in his adoptive name. Anyone is allowed to order an adoption certificate. However, it won't give you anymore information than you already have. Adoption certs give the names and address of the Adopters, the date and court where the adoption was granted, adoptive fathers occupation. There is no link to the birth mother.

Alyson

Alyson Report 22 Dec 2010 08:36

Hello, and thankyou so much for your help so far. I'm so new to this and it's mind boggling so your help is appreciated. x

Kay????

Kay???? Report 22 Dec 2010 11:43

Where a natural parent is part of adoption the process is a different action altogether and will be named on all documentation.

JMW

JMW Report 22 Dec 2010 14:00

As Adoption certificates effectively replace the original birth entry, you can only obtain a certificate from the original entry if you are able to provide all the information, including any original names, so there is not any real value in doing so.