Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

at a standstill

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Winifred

Winifred Report 22 Dec 2010 16:46

I would be really appreciative if you could help me with the following.

Mary Campbell born abt 1815 and died 1867 married Thomas Farrar whose birth date I do not know but I know he died in 1851. The marriage was at Manchester Cathedral on 31/12/1838.
Her father was shown as William Campbell a coal miner who was born in cumberland, as was she and the address given on the marriage certificate was McIntyre Buildings which I think was in Salford.
Thomas's father's name was shown as John Farrar a Labourer and the address shown for him was 5, Bury Street, Salford.
I found her as a widow on 1851 and 1861 censuses, but not able to trace anything of either her or him or their parents prior to that. I could not find any of them on the 1841 census and do not seem to be able to go any further. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you Winnie

Winifred

Winifred Report 22 Dec 2010 17:27

hi, Thomas and Mary had 4 children who are John born 1840 Alice born 1843 Rachel born 1849 and Thomas born 1851. The first 3 children are shown on the 1851 census and with the 4t are shown in the 1861 census. This last census had the name wrongly transcribed as Farace, instead of Farrar, but Mary was a widow on both of these. As the eldest child was John born 1840 or thereabouts he would be the only name apart from his mother and father to be shown on the 1841 census which I can't find. I thought I might have found Mary under her maiden name of campbell with her father William seeing I had the address but no joy there either as it was for Thomas with his father John. I have not been able to find the death certificate for Thomas although I do know that he definitely died in 1851 which was the year his last son was born.
As you see, both Campbell and Farrar can be spelt differently and there are so many of them too.

Janice

Janice Report 22 Dec 2010 17:29

How about this one for 1841?

Name: Thomas Farrar
Estimated birth year: abt 1806
Where born: Lancashire, England

Civil Parish: Prestwich Cum Oldham
Hundred: Salford
County/Island: Lancashire
Registration district: Bury
Sub-registration district: Pilkington

Thomas Farrar 35
Mary Farrar 30
Charles Farrar 14
Simeon Farrar 7
Ellen Farrar 2
Eliza Farrar 10 MO

Edit: children's names are wrong.

Winifred

Winifred Report 22 Dec 2010 17:46

I know how frustrating it can be as I have been thro nearly all the thomas Farrars with a wife mary but no joy there either. Maybe I should just give it up as a bad job and be pleased I got as far as I did with them. Thanks for your help anyway.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 22 Dec 2010 17:56

Could this be the death for Thomas?

Deaths Mar 1851 (>99%)
FARRAR Thomas Salford 20 747

Christine

Winifred

Winifred Report 23 Dec 2010 11:56

Hi Christine, it is possible that it is the death for Thomas but how would I find out the age when he died. Would I have to send for the certificate or would it be possible to look to see if it is the correct one as I have looked at a lot of Thomas Farrar's but I must admit not the year 1851. What site did you get it on?

Mary

Mary Report 23 Dec 2010 15:31

Is Mary down as Nancy born in Cumberland on the 1851 census along with her sister jane campbell born 1829 Bolton Lancs?

Maryb.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 23 Dec 2010 17:47

I found the death on Free BMD.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Unfortunately the age wasn't listed until the mid 1860's so you would need to buy the cert to find out if it's the correct one.

I checked Lancashire BMD's and Lancashire Parish records but it doesn't appear on there.

Christine

mac

mac Report 23 Dec 2010 19:33

Hi Winifred, how to you know that he "definitly" died in 1851? Not trying to doubt you, just trying to plays devils advocate!

Winifred

Winifred Report 30 Dec 2010 16:28

Hi Christine,
Sorry I have not been in touch sooner but was away for christmas. I sent for Thomas Farrar's birth certificate who was born on 27th April, 1851 and it gives his father as Thomas deceased. and mother as Mary Farrar formerly Cambell (not campbell) as spelt on the census, and i also have a copy of young Thomas born 1851 and Ann Stirrup born 1850 wedding certificate dated 17th November 1869. This gives his father's n ame as Thomas Farrar - Carter with the address BK. Duncan St. Higher Broughton. (but does not say deceased)but I can only find Mary and her children and she is a widow on 1851 census. I also found the birth certificate on Free BMD and presumed that this was the correct one.

Winifred

Winifred Report 30 Dec 2010 16:33

Hi Mary,
Yes Mary is listed as Nancy on the 1851 census and again on the 1861 census she is listed as Mary Farace but as a widow on both of them. As I have a copy of Thomas Farrar born 1851 birth certificate and also a copy of a death certificate in the name of Thomas Farrar for March 1851 and mary is listed as a widow that year, I just thought it was the correct one.

Winifred

Winifred Report 30 Dec 2010 16:35

Hi Mac,
I can only go on the fact that having the birth certificate of his son born April 1851 a death of a Thomas Farrar in march 1851 and his mother mary being a widow on 1851 census, but as you say, nothing is definite.