Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Automated requests

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tim

Tim Report 23 Dec 2010 14:35

Hello all

Just received one of the automated requests to veiw my tree.
This is from someone I have no idea who he is, and without a small note as to why he wants the info. How do people expect to get help without the faintest of outlines as to who they are, or think they may be related??

Rant over......seasons greetings to you all, from a very white Northumberland.

Tim

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 23 Dec 2010 16:26

Have had several of these requests, with no details of the names they are looking for given,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
Liz

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 23 Dec 2010 20:02

Hi Tim,

This has happened to many of us in the past. We each have different views regarding it.

People can send requests like this for many reasons. They could be new to the site / assume 'we' know who they want to view etc.

My rely is always; Thank you for your contact, but could you please give me the name of the person you think we have in common.

If I don't get a polite reply with the name of the person - then I just ignor them.

It may sound harsh but I never ever give permission to view my tree unless there is plenty of evidence to link us together.

Too many people just collect names and add them to their trees. I've had one woman who claimed to have 35,000 in her tree and her response was repeatedly "I've given you permission to view my tree let me view yours".

I've spent a lot of time, and money collecting evidence for my tree and I'm not just giving it to any person who just asks. If we are truly connected that's different.

Don't know if this has helped. But remember you don't have to give permission to view. It's your tree. Some member's are happy to give permission other's are not. It's your choice. Don't be bullied into doing something your not happy with.

Plus I hate automatic responses, I feel if a person want's to learn something the very least they should do is make to request personal.

Just my opinion.

Merry Christmas,
Lou

Tim

Tim Report 23 Dec 2010 21:46

Hi Lou & Liz

Thanks for the replies, good point about the costs Lou, a few certificates from the GRO soon add up!!

I replied to the request and asked for more details, and to be fair he has supplied me with what I had asked for.
Presume from the response that he must be new to the site.

Best wishes.....Tim