Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

living persons identity

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jimarg45

jimarg45 Report 28 Dec 2010 01:29

Happy christmas everyone.
I'm puzzled!!
In our trees we are given the opportunity to hide living relatives and their details to protect them.
But as I'm scrolling through the boards there are so may people looking for biological parents, giving names and other personal details.
I'm sure there must be scrollers who are shocked to find a parent has provided a half sibling out there for them somewhere. There may even be fathers who are unaware of a child's existence until they see their name in print.
Am I old fashioned or do people need to be a little more sensitive in searching.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 28 Dec 2010 07:27

Different people see things differently. Do what you are comfortable with and each to his or her own, I say.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 28 Dec 2010 09:53

I also am not comfortable to see these details aired on the net.

I replied to a GR request for information about 2 years ago re someone in my tree.

I received a reply later to say she was not continueing with the research as the man named had told her he was not her father although her mother was his wife at the time

jimarg45

jimarg45 Report 28 Dec 2010 14:39

I'm glad it's not just me.
I think a lot of upset can be caused.
Many families have things they would rather keep quiet or may not even know about until they see it on a board.
I'm not saying don't research them, just that details on message boards could be a little less personal. If things are obviously going in that direction, perhaps better to PM.

I have had a similar denial although I have certified proof of the close link of a person to my father and grandparents .

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Dec 2010 15:43

While I can see where starburst1 and Elizabeth are coming from, I can't see a round it, at least initially.

The people who are asking for help from the 'community' to identify their biologically close relatives are often (but not always) inexperienced at research, and certainly need advice and access to additional resources.

On the other hand, there is an advantage having those close rellies named; there is always the possibility that other people are looking for the poster.

I do think that a line should be drawn at naming 2nd cousins' husbands' twice removed!!!