Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Look-Up

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janette

Janette Report 28 Dec 2010 15:58

Once again I find myself resorting to the boards for help! This time looking for a marriage between Hannah Boulton and a Mr Cranham for whom I have no first name. The marriage would have been sometime after 1911 and before 1956 when Hannah remarried to a James Elliott.

Thanks again, Janette

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 28 Dec 2010 16:04

Are you saying the Hannah B Cranham that married James Elliott in 1956 is the same Hannah ?

Do you actually have the marriage cert to confirm she was a Boulton

Janette

Janette Report 28 Dec 2010 16:11

No I do not but Hannah is known for definate to be my great grandmother's sister who was a Boulton by birth also. And on cheshire bmd this is shown:

BOULTON Hannah Boulton ELLIOTT James Stayley, St Paul Tameside

CRANHAM Hannah Boulton ELLIOTT James Stayley, St Paul Tameside

ELLIOTT James BOULTON Hannah Boulton Stayley, St Paul Tameside

ELLIOTT James CRANHAM Hannah Boulton Stayley, St Paul Tameside

(I presume that Hannah's middle name did not actually begin with B for as you can see it is said to be Hannah Boulton Boulton above)

Janette

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 28 Dec 2010 17:53

do you know who Hannah's parent's were?

Janette

Janette Report 28 Dec 2010 17:58

Yes, they Thomas Boulton and Esther Clewley

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 28 Dec 2010 18:02

I just asked in case the name Cranham came perhaps via her mother rather than her own marriage as she was recorded as Hannah Boulton Boulton/Cranham

I have tried looking for a marriage & can't find one anywhere

maybe the actual marriage certificate would solve the mystery

Janette

Janette Report 28 Dec 2010 18:08

Maybe I also have looked everywhere I can think of but have yet to find anything rather strange as it seems, thank you for looking

Janette

Janette

Janette Report 28 Dec 2010 18:29

Yes that is Hannah's parents marriage

Janette

Janette Report 28 Dec 2010 18:36

Hannah was born in 1889 in Dilhorne, Cheadle

Janette

Janette Report 28 Dec 2010 19:08

I was pretty certain but just to check I have looked and this is her birth

Births Sep 1888 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOULTON Hannah Cheadle 6b 323

I also have her on the 1911 census here

LAKIN, Robert Visitor Single M 27 1884 Physician And Surgeon Manchester
LAKIN, Walter Russell Head Married M 43 1868 Physician And Surgeon Italy Resident
JUDD, Minnie Ada Wife Married
11 years F 45 1866 Housewife Harrogate Yorkshire
JUDD, Dorothy Edith Miltar Daughter Single F 9 1902 School Ashton Under Lyne
JUDD, Phyllis Mary Warner Daughter Single F 9 1902 School Ashton Under Lyne
BOULTON, Hannah Servant Single F 22 1889 General Servant Domestic Staffordshire Stoke on Trent

The marriage was definately 1956 according to cheshire bmd, your right though she would have been quite old I make it 67 if that makes it any better

Janette

Janette Report 28 Dec 2010 19:43

As far as I am aware she was one of four children (Daniel, William, Bertha and finally Hannah) who according to the census' were all the children of Thomas and Esther. I have Bertha's birth certificate which definately shows Thomas and Esther as her parents. Confusingly she went by the name Nancy. Janette

Janette

Janette Report 28 Dec 2010 21:07

Thank you ever so much Corrinne for looking despite it taking so long. Thomas Boulton died in 1895. I believe he was first married to an Elizabeth Abberley although as far as I am aware they had no children. I was aware that Esther remarried I have her on the 1901 census the two boys from her previous marriage remained part of the new Farrall family however they have retained their name Boulton. Her daughter Bertha was in service at the time of the 1901 census to a family in Dilhorne and Hannah was living with her mother's sister and her husband in Ashton under Lyne. And by the 1911 census Hannah was to in service to a family in Ashton under Lyne. And was still recorded as Hannah Boulton

Thank you for your time and effort, Janette

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 28 Dec 2010 22:53

there were 3 Hannah Boulton's born in Staffordshire

Staffordshire Birth indexes for the years: 1888
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
BOULTON Hannah Dilhorne Newcastle-Under-Lyme DI/21/052
BOULTON Hannah Newcastle-under-Lyme Newcastle-Under-Lyme NUL/64/114
BOULTON Hannah Newcastle-under-Lyme Newcastle-Under-Lyme NUL/65/35

so the one as a servant in 1911 could be any one of them as she gives her place of birth as Stoke