Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army Number Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne

Joanne Report 31 Dec 2010 13:09

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could help me find an army number. My grandfather was in the Machine Gunners Core in WW1 and we have his number and medal information for this, however he was also in a different regiment before this and we have no idea as to how to find out his number for this part of his army life. We have found postcards sent in 1915 so know where he was and a portrait of him at this time, but cant quite work out the badge, and no idea how to find any more information. My father knows he received medals prior to WW1 and tried to search for these to find the number but to no avail. Anyone have any hints?
Thank you

Potty

Potty Report 31 Dec 2010 13:21

Have you looked to see if his WW1 Army Record is on Ancestry? I found my grandfather's previous regiment and number from his record and then found his earlier record on FMP.

Joanne

Joanne Report 31 Dec 2010 13:37

Im afraid I dont have ancestry. Is it possible to get the records through the library version of ancestry as I have access to that when I can get to the library?

Potty

Potty Report 31 Dec 2010 14:31

Joanne, if you give me your grandfather's name, DOB and POB and his WW1 Army Number, I will look for you.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 31 Dec 2010 16:06

Any pre WW1 medals awarded are also on Ancestry now, which will give regiment and regimental number - hope he didn't have too common a name!

Joanne

Joanne Report 31 Dec 2010 16:08

Thank you so much!

Arthur William Underwood

Born Jan 1889 (at the moment I know no further than this on birthdate, he appears to have been a bit 'lenient with the truth' on various documents as his wedding certificates cite different ages)

He was born in Ickleford, Beds but appears to be living in Biggleswade before he joins the army.

The number we have for the MGC is 122542 Pte A W Underwood M G C

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 31 Dec 2010 18:48

There is a Medal Card on Ancestry

Name: Arthur W Underwood
Regiment or Corps: Machine Gun Corps
Regimental Number: 122542

Joanne

Joanne Report 31 Dec 2010 21:06

Thank you Glitter Baby, we have his machine gun corps medal card, but know he was in a different regiment before this but cant find any information. The family hints are it may be Bedfordshire Regiment or Sherwood Foresters?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 31 Dec 2010 23:06

If he was in a different regiment in 1915 then the regiment and number would be on the same medal card as the Machine Gun Corps medals

Roy

Joanne

Joanne Report 1 Jan 2011 23:25

I've had another look Roy and cant find it on there, yet he was certainly in a different regiment prior to the MGC. Could there be a reason for it not being there?