Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Printers 'pager'...any ideas what that might

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Dec 2010 23:36

have involved? have googled but coming up with 'pager' as in bleepers lol

thanks
Rose

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Dec 2010 23:39

no use for this but a very handy list of archaic occupations

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
~familiesacrosstime/occupations.htm#P

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Jan 2011 00:48

Not showing on old occuptions site. Sounds like someone who assembled pages in order after printing.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 1 Jan 2011 00:58

What era are we looking at, Rose?

Ozi

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 1 Jan 2011 06:25

The person who assembled the printed pages in order was usually known as a collator.
My WILD guess is that the pager was either someone who worked out where suitable page breaks were to be, in a book for example, this would be more important than say, the newspaper. But generally that would be part of the typographer's job I would have thought. So that brings me to wonder if the pager was the person who worked out which page backed onto which, before it went to the printing press...pages were printed on huge sheets, and then folded and cut up into the pages later. So page 1 might back up with page 2, but might be right next to page 166 for example, depending on the size of the book and way in which it was to be stitched before binding. Complicated? Just a bit! You had to know what you were doing! Might this have been the pager's job?

As I said, a wild guess on my part, don't hold me to it!!!!! LOL

Of course, none of this will make sense to anyone from the younger generation since all of these jobs are now done by machine, so the human touch has totally disappeared! They were all skilled trades in their day.

K

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Jan 2011 11:35

Thanks all for suggestions, this would have been 1911, interesting info from the census for my grandmother...I had no idea of what she did but seeing that made sense of her meeting up with my grandfather as he was a printer. They came from different areas of the country so it now seems likely that they met either at work or at least through connections.

Shirley and Karen I think what you've said sounds likely :)
My father followed in the trade as he was a journeyman printer/book binder.